You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I hope this is the right area to post this question. I would like to make an alcohol ink effect background but I cannot see any brush kits for sale that refer to Affinity, only Procreate and Photoshop (I assume they are not compatible). Is it possible to create the same effect with existing brushes? Have tried but failed with watercolour brushes.

Many thanks

It's a bit like watercoloring, I've tried it but never finish the painting as I pass out Hic!

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-with-Alcohol-Ink

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Oops sorry, yes I should have included a piccie. Thanks FirstDefence, that is exactly what I mean. It is a beautiful effect, especially when you include glitters, but the inks are very smelly to use so I am keen to find a pong free digital option :)

There are 3rd-party brushes for the Affinity products (some are on Serif's online store, others directly from the web sites of those producing them), but I'm not aware of any alcohol ink brushes for it.

Some Photoshop brushes can be imported into Photo and Designer, but not all.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, Clc508 said:

Hi

I hope this is the right area to post this question. I would like to make an alcohol ink effect background but I cannot see any brush kits for sale that refer to Affinity, only Procreate and Photoshop (I assume they are not compatible). Is it possible to create the same effect with existing brushes? Have tried but failed with watercolour brushes.

Many thanks

This effect can only be created with additional brushes. See what kind of brush set you have. There must be more than 100 brushes.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, Clc508 said:

Hi

Many thanks

Or you can create a separate 3D model. That's a good option, too. 

Edited by CaitlinColema

• 9 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, Clc508 said:

Hi

Many thanks

I am also looking for these!

Had a look at making some today.. watched the Corel Video tutorial They appear to be more of an effect brush than actual painting brush...or just brush nozzles constructed from 'smoke like' or ink stamps, The Procreate ones are really impressive!

So to create something like as a basic brush you would need to make use of the sub-brush to punch out the master brush shape but making it slightly smaller to create a semi transparent edge (with or without texture).. Then you can adjust the blending settings and Brush Dynamics for further effects. With a semi-transparent nozzle

Variations in the Flow dynamics in the master Brush and Sub-brush adds additional effects
Try Overlay | Average | Multiply | Hue or even contrast negate
Updated

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks as a always @StuartRc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Version 2
Added a new version of this brush experiment and removed V1
Made use of wet edges custom brush and blur effect adding to brush nozzle

Experiments

Variations in the Flow dynamics in the master Brush and Sub-brush adds additional effects
Custom Wet Edge Effects Fixed ON and OFF 
mix with: Add Overlay | Average | Multiply | Hue or even contrast negate

Alcohol Brush V3.zip

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

• 4 months later...

Hi StuartRC

Just wondering if your brush is still available as the link isn't there any more.

Thanks

On 5/9/2022 at 5:52 AM, StuartRc said:

Version 2
Added a new version of this brush experiment and removed V1
Made use of wet edges custom brush and blur effect adding to brush nozzle

Experiments

Custom Wet Edge Effects Fixed ON and OFF 
mix with: Add Overlay | Average | Multiply | Hue or even contrast negate

Alcohol Brush V2.zipUnavailable

Hi @RosM Welcome to the forums.

The link works for me. Maybe try refreshing your browser, or use a different one.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 hours ago, RosM said:

Hi StuartRC

Just wondering if your brush is still available as the link isn't there any more.

Thanks

Hi

To be honest I have not been working on this experiment for a while...They should be available!

However I had a look through the brushes to see how far I had progressed with this little experiment ... I believe that the set currently available is not the latest version So I have archived the original link and added the later versions.. There should now be about 30 brushes in the set.. but they are not labelled correctly!

Updated the experimental set to V3 and removed older set!

Still A W.I.P hence not added to resources yet!

• 2 weeks later...