You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Great googly-woogly! Yes, ’tis moi and, as Popeye would phrase it, ‘I yam back ay-gain!’ with another exciting round of ‘Wha … !?’ Today’s Episode deals with the vagaries of Multiple Strokes (thankfully this is the artistic, not the medical, kind of stroke we’re dealing with.) 

In past, it has been possible to use the Appearance panel and the ‘Add Stroke’ operation to create multiple instances of strokes. Since installing 1.9.3, that has not been possible. No, I'm not dissing the latest version, merely pointing out a tiny glitch that (hopefully) is able to be resolved.

I have attempted creation of multi-strokes on plain text (text-as-text, not converted to curves), text which is converted to curves, on converted and non-converted with Expand Stroke applied, and a few other attempts to Make It Work! … Nuh-unh, Herbie. Stroke don't play dat …

Application of a SINGLE stroke (regardless of inner, outer, or centered alignment) is uneventful. Clicking the ‘+’ sign for ‘Add Stroke’ provokes dry, mirthless laughter from the inner sanctum of the application. ‘Try that again, Fool … you’re not playing with an Amateur, you know!’ - can't you hear it?

I'm attaching a screencap of the ‘Add Stroke’ settings window. Please advise if you spot something I'm doing (or, not) which prevents multi-stroke application from taking place. As usual, thanks to all for your input.

Stay tuned for our Next Exciting Episode, featuring ‘The Jabberwock’ (as performed for us by the now-late Mr Frank [‘More Trouble Every Day’ & ‘Don't Eat The Yellow Snow’]  Zappa …

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 21.27.09 PM.png

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

Following what used to be ‘Best Practices,’ I typed the text, converted to curves, clicked the ‘Add’ Boolean function, ungrouped, and attempted to (as in Bygone Days) apply Multiple Strokes using the Appearance panel. In past, it has genuinely been INSANELY easy to do this. Only now is it displaying signs of ‘glitch’-iness. Once the multiple strokes were added, coloring or applying gradient fills was a snap. I'd like to have that functionality back …

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

The file no longer exists … it has been sent to the Great Digital Round File in the Electron Sea … I'll see about creating another one tomorrow and uploading that if the next go also fails. Methinks it's Time To Meet The Pillow. Thankx.

Well GOLLLLLL-EE!, Festus … ! To paraphrase Mr Randy Newman’s lyrics to ‘Louisiana 1927’ — “What have happened down here / Is that things have changed … ” Operating on the premise that things couldn't become more frustrating, I closed Designer 1.9.3 and restarted. Opened a new file, typed some TesText, converted to curves, clicked the ‘Add’ Boolean function, ungrouped, and attempted to (as in Bygone Days) apply Multiple Strokes using the Appearance panel. Just like before.

BUT: This time, the ‘Add Filter’ text next to the ‘+’ sign in the Appearance panel was lit up like a cheap Christmas tree a week before the holiday. Click text, click ‘Add Stroke,’ aaaaaaand … WOOT! Dere it is! Multiple strokes are back and once again functional as before.

Don't know what put the hitch in Designer’s giddyup before, but it looks to be pretty much cured now. Thanks again for your help and input …