You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bounding box changes depending on two objects are grouped or not

Have you rotated or sheared the bottom object?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Hi @SamSteele,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

As loukash has mentioned above, this is likely occurring as the lower object has rotation or shear applied to it.

When you group 2 objects together that have not been rotated/sheared, the bounding box shown will be the same as if you had selected each object individually.

If you have grouped an object that has rotation/shear applied, the group bounding box will be larger than the 2 objects individually selected bounding box, as the groups bounding box is large enough to 'cover' the bounding box of the rotated object.

This can be shown in the below screen recording, note after I rotate the lower object, the bounding box now extends further right and down than it did previously. When grouping this object and the object above, the bounding box for the group becomes large enough to fit the bounding boxes of all grouped objects as one.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!