You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug “apply image” used in a macro

If the “Apply image” filter is recorded in a macro and as source a layer the opened image is used, the pixel of the layer were recorded and used as the source when the macro is played back. The layer is saved when the marco is recorded. I expected that the relative position of the layer will be used as the source from the open document, corresponding to the document when the macro was recorded. Version is 1.9.2.1035 , it is reproduceable on new documents.

Hello,

I have copied the marco a attached file, I like to create an extended frequency separation.  The important steps are:

Duplicate the picture layer twice, call it low (frequency) and high (frequency). Filter the low layer with "median blur" 20 px. Then calculate high=(low-high)/2+0.5 on the rbg channels with the "Apply image" filter. The active layer must be the high layer and the source layer the low-layer. The expected behavior is that the name of the source is stored in the macro, but the content of the layer is stored. After you run the macro on an other picture, the stored content in the source would be used and not the High layer of the picture.

If you run the attached marco you can see the effect. that the content of the layer is stored you can see on the size of the macro.

Requenztrennnung mit Bild anwenden.afmacro

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I believe things get lost in translation and I'm struggling to follow your steps. What options do you use for the Apply Image? Can you attach a screen recoding of your workflow creating that macro? 

I have attached a sreen recording and the macro as result of the recording. It is the base of the frequency separation.

Macro.afmacro

19 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thanks. I see it in your video, but I still can't replicate it here. Do you get the same wrong image being applied if you don't use equations? Just the "Use current layer as source" 

Using the current level as a source makes no sense because I want to combine two layers with equations. 
The result then appears on the current layer. To select the source I drag and drop the source layer into the filter. 
If I use "Use current layer as source" in the filter, the layer is calculated with itself. 
That is not the aim of the action. The target layer and DR-Layer ist the selected layer, an to select an diferent  
SR layer ist only possible with Drag and Drop. That work in normal filter mode but not in a macro. 
The marco dont store the link to a layer but the complete layer content. If you run the marco with an other picture the sorce layer
will not be updated. Run teh macro ob different pictures yue will see the effect. Normaly the combination of the low and High layer must 
show the same as the orignal backgrund layer.

• Staff
10 minutes ago, erdi12 said:

To select the source I drag and drop the source layer into the filter.

I'm afraid that's not gonna work inside a macro. The result you see it's expected, as the macro will "bake" that layer into it.

Your video was very low resolution and I completely missed that step. 

9 minutes ago, erdi12 said:

Using the current level as a source makes no sense because I want to combine two layers with equations. 
The result then appears on the current layer. To select the source I drag and drop the source layer into the filter. 
If I use "Use current layer as source" in the filter, the layer is calculated with itself. 
That is not the aim of the action. The target layer and DR-Layer ist the selected layer, an to select an diferent  
SR layer ist only possible with Drag and Drop. That work in normal filter mode but not in a macro. 
The marco dont store the link to a layer but the complete layer content. If you run the marco with an other picture the sorce layer
will not be updated. Run teh macro ob different pictures yue will see the effect. Normaly the combination of the low and High layer must 
show the same as the orignal backgrund layer.

Do you get the same wrong image being applied if you don't use equations? ==> I have test this and this works in a macro with a diffent picture. Use Current Layer As Source to blend the image with itself works also in a marco.

Click Load Image and navigate to, then select the source image to import. If the image is another layer within your document, you can also click-drag it onto the dialog box to use it. This dosen't work in a marco.

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm afraid that's not gonna work inside a macro. The result you see it's expected, as the macro will "bake" that layer into it.

Your video was very low resolution and I completely missed that step. 

That is a little disappointing, that there is no possibility to  combine two layers with equations in a macro. It this a topic for a feature request.

The behavior in macros are in other cases also inflexible, Not the input formular of the user is stored in a macro but the result of an equation. The effect is that in a macro no update of a calculation happens but the result which was calculated during macro recording will be used. Example is the resize function.