You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: shortcuts to enable/disable groups of layers

Allow layers to have a layer index (0-9). Many layers would be able to have the same index.
Then allow setting shortcut keys to disable and enable all layers with an index.
For example Ctrl + 4 would enable all layers with an index of 4, and Ctrl + Shift + 4 would disable all those layers. (Maybe make additionally a toggle.)

This feature would have many uses. I personally would use it to make the performance better before certain tasks.

EDIT: Being able to use a shortcut key to set all layers on or off that have a specific color tag (instead of an "index") would be the easiest implementation. Also, please see what kirk23 said about the tag implementation.

EDIT2: Seems that it's already possible to do almost what I wanted by using color tags and adding a shortcut to Select Same Color Tag and then disabling or enabling one of the selected layers manually.

Edited by Cre

What do you mean by “allow” and what do you mean by “index”?
Do you mean that each layer can be given an “index” by the user?
Or do you mean that each level in the layer hierarchy should have it’s own “index” automatically applied by the software?
Or something else?
I think you might have the start of a good idea, if I understand you correctly, but I would need to know more about what you mean to have a better idea of what you want and how it might work.
As with many things, “the devil is in the detail” with this sort of thing and a good idea can often be brought down by practicalities.

Give us a more detailed explanation of how you expect it to work, with respect to the existing functionality, and people may agree with you.

I think what we need is layer compositions .  We already have color and name tags for layers  and "select  same" color or name where we can set it off or on for all same tagged layers.   So we need a separate tag panel like in Xara were we could switch on and off a certain tag  aka layer comps.   Being able to set a hotkey for each tag would be nice indeed.

Being able to switch on/off same tags inside embedded docs and symbols from a master document would be super helpful too.

37 minutes ago, GarryP said:

What do you mean by “allow” and what do you mean by “index”?
Do you mean that each layer can be given an “index” by the user?
Or do you mean that each level in the layer hierarchy should have it’s own “index” automatically applied by the software?
Or something else?
I think you might have the start of a good idea, if I understand you correctly, but I would need to know more about what you mean to have a better idea of what you want and how it might work.
As with many things, “the devil is in the detail” with this sort of thing and a good idea can often be brought down by practicalities.

Give us a more detailed explanation of how you expect it to work, with respect to the existing functionality, and people may agree with you.

I meant that each layer could be given an “index” by the user. But I found out the color tags could be more fit for this. Please see the edit in the first post.

Seems that it's already possible to do almost what I wanted by using color tags and adding a shortcut to Select Same Color Tag and then disabling or enabling one of the selected layers manually.

57 minutes ago, Cre said:

disabling or enabling one of the selected layers manually.

You also have Layers > Hide / Show / Show All that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

51 minutes ago, loukash said:

You also have Layers > Hide / Show / Show All that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to.

1 hour ago, Cre said:

and adding a shortcut to Select Same Color Tag

How would you do it for  Select Same Color Tag .  Looks like there is no such thing in that shortcut assigning dialog.   It's so inconvenient

42 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

How would you do it for  Select Same Color Tag .  Looks like there is no such thing in that shortcut assigning dialog.   It's so inconvenient

There is a shortcut option for it in the Select section if I remember correctly. I'm not at the computer atm. But it is somewhat inconvenient because it just selects the same color (what is selected), not a specific color.

1 hour ago, kirk23 said:

Looks like there is no such thing in that shortcut assigning dialog.

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Select > Select Same ➤ Tag Color

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Select > Select Same ➤ Tag Color

Is it in Mac version,?   I mean I don;t see  "Select same"

ps.   Oh .Found it  in Designer .   So it doesn't work for Photo. Only in Designer

2 hours ago, kirk23 said:

Is it in Mac version,?   I mean I don;t see  "Select same"

ps.   Oh .Found it  in Designer .   So it doesn't work for Photo. Only in Designer

In Photo there is the ability to Select Same Colour Tag in the context menu in the layers panel.

1879196767_ScreenShot2021-04-17at10_03_47AM.png.7b8bb1eeab4d2c0d865e033ba357c1d1.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, kirk23 said:

it doesn't work for Photo. Only in Designer

1. File > Edit in Designer
  2. edit whatever you need
  3. File > Edit in Photo

That's the Affinity Magic®… :)

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

In Photo there is the ability to Select Same Colour Tag in the context menu in the layers panel.

56 minutes ago, loukash said:

That's the Affinity Magic®… :)

I meant I can set a hotkey for Select Same Colour Tag  in Affinity Designer but  can't do it in Affinity Photo.   And it's a weird  thing.