You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a former Photoshop user, I find myself missing the ability to move a selection.

Hello, firstly, I would like to thank you all for all the hard work you do to make this product so great!  I wanted to throw a simple (Yet, probably way more complicated than my simple mind can fathom...lol) feature request into the hat.

In Photoshop, when I am dragging a rectangular, or circular selection, I can hold <SPACE> to change to moving the selection's position on the screen. When I release <SPACE> I am still dragging out the selection.  This comes in very handy for making circular selections, as I can just start dragging the selection, hold <SPACE> while still dragging to move the selection into alignment, then release <SPACE> to continue dragging out the selection into alignment with what i am trying to select.

I hope this makes sense.  It's small, but a feature I tend to use quite often, and really speeds things up. If there is any further input needed, or I am just missing a way to do this, please let me know!

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Metallical said:

I am just missing a way to do this, please let me know

There are other workflows that will get you there as well, or even beyond, for example:

• create a temporary blank pixel layer first, then make your basic marquee selection, then adjust it using the Move tool as if the selection were an object
  • create and size your "selections" as vector paths/shapes first, then convert them to curves if these are predefined shapes, keep them selected and switch to the Pen tool, then click either the Mask or Selection button in the context tool bar
5 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

You can move a selection with the selection tool, after you drw it. The cursor turns into a double arrow then.

I don't think that's the point because that's standard PS behavior as well.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

A selection can be moved if you are (or switch to) the rectangular or elliptical selection tool. Keyboard shortcut L. Just drag the selection. 

With the move tool, the selection will also drag the underlying pixel content (instead of moving just the selection itself).

49 minutes ago, user_0815 said:

With the move tool, the selection will also drag the underlying pixel content

Hence:

1 hour ago, loukash said:

create a temporary blank pixel layer first

It's a quick extra step but with lots of benefit.
Technically you are actually moving pixels on that blank layer, but since alpha = 0, it doesn't affect anything.

~~~

Also, yet another workflow possibility:

• make your marquee selection, open the Transform panel to adjust its size and position numerically.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2