You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Forum Upgraded 15th April, Please report any problems here

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It is a moderator option... that I have given to all users. Would you like me to remove it from you?

I would just like the heading or layout of that section changed so it is clear to us regular non-moderator users that it is not just a moderator only option we are seeing in error.

It also would not hurt if it was obvious to us regular users if or how we could unhide the post at some later time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

yeah, it is so odd that a user can hide but not unhide their own posts... I do not think there is a way to do that. Hide is quite destructive

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

yeah, it is so odd that a user can hide but not unhide their own posts... I do not think there is a way to do that. Hide is quite destructive

So it does not seem like it is a useful option for us regular users & thus only moderators should have it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So it does not seem like it is a useful option for us regular users & thus only moderators should have it.

that is hard to argue with... will think on it. This is not new and you have been able to hide your own content for around 2 years.

It was added when users wanted to stop an argument, as they felt intimidated by other forum users and meant that the moderators could still see what had been said, but the argument stopped because the post was "gone"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

This is not new and you have been able to hide your own content for around 2 years

I thought for us it was previously possible only to hide individual replies, not the entire topic we authored.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

not the entire topic we authored.

If the post is the first post, it has that effect. AFAIK The whole thread is hidden when the Author hides their first post, (not the just the first post is hidden leaving the rest behind)

In other words you do only have the right to hide your own posts, and as a consequence you can hide a whole thread if you are the OP. surprising, but true as I understand it 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I can see that it would be weird if we could hide just the first post without hiding all the replies to it. That is why I (wrongly?) assumed previously we could not hide a topic we authored, at least once it had been replied to.

Regardless, if we can't unhide an OP I think the option should not be available to us.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

the problem is the same

Quick fix for anyone who knows how to apply custom CSS:

#ipsLayout_sidebar {
display: none;
}

Use e.g. add0n.com/stylus.html for Firefox.

Edit:

Doesn't work on the forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/discover page yet – something is still pushing it away.
But works on all stream subpages.

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Regardless, if we can't unhide an OP I think the option should not be available to us.

Agreed. How often did hiding a post/thread happen in the past? I think, if someone has some really good reason for removing his posts/threats, there's always the option to contact a moderator.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

there's always the option to contact a moderator.

Yeah, because they are so bored the whole day long, right? ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Oh, this is four pages now, yet no content squeezing sidebar at four pages.

Has it been switched off or what please?

it's just under the first post on each page, not at the side (and now does not include "popular days in this thread" or "images posted")

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

35 minutes ago, loukash said:

Doesn't work on the forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/discover page yet – something is still pushing it away.

Found it.

So, the full CSS "hack":

#ipsLayout_sidebar {
}
#ipsLayout_mainArea {
    display: initial;
}

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

it's just under the first post on each page, not at the side (and now does not include "popular days in this thread" or "images posted")

It does not seem to be appearing here.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

56 minutes ago, loukash said:

Yeah, because they are so bored the whole day long, right? ;)

Well, if they aren't here for doing their job - why are they here anyways?

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

36 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Do we really need any of that or any of the other distractions additions (like the "3 dy Patrick Connor unlocked this topic" line) that result in more scrolling to see the 'meat' of the topic, that being the OP & the replies to it?

Affinity Photo 

Keyboard shortcuts for graphical emoticons don’t seem to work any more. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Keyboard shortcuts for graphical emoticons don’t seem to work any more. :(

And scattered prior/subsequent discussion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt. I forgot that I’d seen that post! :o

The default set requires a lot of scrolling to reach it, but I suppose that becomes unimportant once the ones you want are added to the ‘Recently Used’ section at the top.

Alfred spacer.png

9 hours ago, loukash said:

Found it.

So, the full CSS "hack":

#ipsLayout_sidebar {
}
#ipsLayout_mainArea {
}

Thanks

Applied the hack to Chrome browser, via a Chrome Extension, and it works, now have full width on all Activity Streams (and discover page). An acceptable solution (to me) if the main cause of the issue cannot be found.

Note to Serif: This hack overrides/hides the Newsletter box. So, if someone has not yet subscribed to the newsletter, they will no longer get that box visible on their screens with this hack applied

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

the main cause of the issue cannot be found

The cause is easy to find:

forum.affinity.serif.com/uploads/css_built_5/341e4a57816af3ba440d891ca87450ff_framework.css
> "#ipsLayout_mainArea, #ipsLayout_sidebar{display:table-cell;[…]}"

Hence "display: initial" to override.
Using just the "display: initial" without hiding the sidebar will stretch the main area while pushing the sidebar content to the bottom of the page.

In fact, that's the least destructive "hack":

#ipsLayout_mainArea {
}

That's all it needs, should anyone feel the need to subscribe to the newsletter at a later date… :)

When I open a topic I am following using the round button to the left of the topic title that used to open the topic & automatically scroll to the first unread reply, that now sometimes does not work -- instead it opens to some reply somewhere in the middle of the topic, so I have to manually scroll down to where the unread posts begin.

Anybody else seeing this? It only happens every so often, for no reason I can see.

Affinity Photo 

Seeing the same as @R C-R regarding (sometimes) the pages opening/displaying/scrolled to one or more posts before the current New Post.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Seeing the same as @R C-R regarding (sometimes) the pages opening/displaying/scrolled to one or more posts before the current New Post.

Ditto.

Alfred spacer.png

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

When I open a topic I am following using the round button to the left of the topic title that used to open the topic & automatically scroll to the first unread reply, that now sometimes does not work -- instead it opens to some reply somewhere in the middle of the topic, so I have to manually scroll down to where the unread posts begin.

Anybody else seeing this? It only happens every so often, for no reason I can see.

I had the same problems. But for me it's working again now, after I deactivated and activated "take me to comments I haven't read" in the forum account settings (Content View Behavior). 

Paul Rand (1914-1996)