You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is the only way to move the installation location of the Affinity suite to uninstall and reinstall with the new path?

If so, are the Studio Presets kept when it's uninstalled or would I be better served to screenshot the layouts of the suite so I can relay the software when it's installed?

Thanks,

Aussie iTV

Windows 10 | Ryzen 9 5900X | RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

How does Affinity handle updates, in the past I just moved the program folders and the software worked, but the updates didn't recognise the software was installed and was trying to do it fresh...

I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling and have found that it kept the layout & studio presets, I assume they've been linked to my account, not sure though. It's also kept all of my assets and stuff included

Aussie iTV

Windows 10 | Ryzen 9 5900X | RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

13 minutes ago, Aussie iTV said:

How does Affinity handle updates, in the past I just moved the program folders and the software worked, but the updates didn't recognise the software was installed and was trying to do it fresh...

On Windows the Registry has information about the program's location. If the application is moved the Registry information must be updated.

14 minutes ago, Aussie iTV said:

I ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling and have found that it kept the layout & studio presets, I assume they've been linked to my account, not sure though. It's also kept all of my assets and stuff included

Again, on Windows, that information is in a set of folders that is not affected by uninstallation of an Affinity application, in my experience. But that will friend on how you do the uninstall. Via the Windows control panel may give different results than using some third-party uninstaller application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

49 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows the Registry has information about the program's location. If the application is moved the Registry information must be updated.

Application Mover moves the application files. It also updates the Registry so that the other locations are correct.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630