You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ESP and AI file import not displaying all their content

Hello,

I have been given 2 files with the same information in - one is an ESP and the other is an AI. When I open them (in Publisher and Designer) I can see some of their content, but not all of it. I know there is more content than I can see because when I export the files as a PDF I can see more information. Please advise what I should check so that I can see all the content.

I have attached two screen shots so you can see how the file displays when I open it in Affinity, and the PDF file that I have exported

I hope you can help!

392145259_Screenshot2021-04-14at19_36_47.png.b0603d2ecfc19f0667948ca5de1a431f.png

2093737825_Screenshot2021-04-14at19_36_38.png.2e8f1297fa577aee5ae283d39ee50e01.png

12 minutes ago, BeccaT said:

Hello,

I have been given 2 files with the same information in - one is an ESP and the other is an AI. When I open them (in Publisher and Designer) I can see some of their content, but not all of it. I know there is more content than I can see because when I export the files as a PDF I can see more information. Please advise what I should check so that I can see all the content.

I have attached two screen shots so you can see how the file displays when I open it in Affinity, and the PDF file that I have exported

I hope you can help!

392145259_Screenshot2021-04-14at19_36_47.png.b0603d2ecfc19f0667948ca5de1a431f.png

2093737825_Screenshot2021-04-14at19_36_38.png.2e8f1297fa577aee5ae283d39ee50e01.png

With "ESP", I think, You mean EPS (encapsulated postscript), right? My suggestion is, that those strokes that are visible on your second screenshot, are drawn in Illustrator with brushes that Designer doesn't support. But I'm not really sure. Anyway, the vector data of those strokes must be there, I think. So there must be layers with invisible content. If you test the single layers just by clicking on each after another, you should see that there are those vectors without strokes. In that case you should be able to give each vector a stroke. Not sure if this will work, but would be worth a try, I think.

Perhaps there is something brought from AI to those files the Affinities are not able to understand. Have you tried to open the PDF to see if the result is better? Could you upload the AI / EPS / PDF?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

19 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

With "ESP", I think, You mean EPS (encapsulated postscript), right? My suggestion is, that those strokes that are visible on your second screenshot, are drawn in Illustrator with brushes that Designer doesn't support. But I'm not really sure. Anyway, the vector data of those strokes must be there, I think. So there must be layers with invisible content. If you test the single layers just by clicking on each after another, you should see that there are those vectors without strokes. In that case you should be able to give each vector a stroke. Not sure if this will work, but would be worth a try, I think.

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Perhaps there is something brought from AI to those files the Affinities are not able to understand. Have you tried to open the PDF to see if the result is better? Could you upload the AI / EPS / PDF?

Hi, I have tried opening the PDF and it displays in the same way as the AI / EPS files when I open it in designer or publisher, even though I can see from the PDF itself that all the strokes are there.

Here are the files, thanks so much for offering to look at them!

MERC0283.aiMERC0283.epsMERC0283.pdf

The AI is nothing spectacular. The EPS and PDF are showing nothing for me. I opened the AI in Illu, adapted the canvas to the outer bounds of the drawings and saved it again with PDF stream (perhaps this part was missing?) and it opens fine now in AD. Corrected file attached.

MERC0283-neu-kompress.ai

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

OK, I opened the EPS, and it works the way I said: fold out the layer groups and click on one layer after another. You will then see what vectors doesn't show any information except that they are selected. Go to the brushes panel and choose one with a fitting thickness. Just click on it while the invisble vector is selected. So it should become visble. Do it with every invisible vector.

This will be a lot of work, but I don't know an easier way.

Edit: @Joachim_L: That's cool. As I opened the AI in Designer, it was just one layer with absolutely no content.

3 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

This will be a lot of work, but I don't know an easier way.

As Inkscape refuses to open the AI, I am pretty sure, that the PDF stream is missing. Another option would to convert the AI to PDF e.g. on https://convertio.co

I took your AI, converted and opened in AD and as far as I can tell it looks good. PDF is attached.

MERC0283(1).pdf

------

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

The AI is nothing spectacular. The EPS and PDF are showing nothing for me. I opened the AI in Illu, adapted the canvas to the outer bounds of the drawings and saved it again with PDF stream (perhaps this part was missing?) and it opens fine now in AD. Corrected file attached.

MERC0283-neu-kompress.ai 3.95 MB · 1 download

this is absolutely brilliant, thanks so very much for your help! I can open the file fine :) 

!!!!!!

That drawing appears to be 1:1 scale in the PDF version..

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.