You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke bug

EvGa

On 4/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, Sean P said:

Hi EvGa,

Can you please attach the file shown (prior to expansion) in your screenshots please? Without this we cannot investigate what is going on with your object.

I have the same issue so maybe you can check the file of mine.

The issue strokes are cut and pasted from my work, I can't provide that work but it seems behave same even I paste them to the other file. Oddly, not all of the strokes in that file are so strange. Some of them are just fine. All of these strokes are drawn by my wacom tablet.

image.png.118c47cc6b509cced9dde98f3c25be5c.png

Weird stroke.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Plasticbridge,

The issue you've pointed out is being caused by having a node create a very small/tight hook on the path. If you select the bezier handle and then move it so its pointing in the other direction it will straighten the hook and let you Expand without an issue.

2 minutes ago, EvGa said:

Yes, the problem was just a bug, and I solve it by creating new file. 

I can't just create a new file ‘cause my work is almost done 😂

Though I actually don't need to expand any stroke, this seems to affect the export function. When my work was exported as EPS or SVG, a lot of the lines got narrower. 

10 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Plasticbridge,

The issue you've pointed out is being caused by having a node create a very small/tight hook on the path. If you select the bezier handle and then move it so its pointing in the other direction it will straighten the hook and let you Expand without an issue.

That issue was solved! Thank you! But it still got narrower....

image.png.95abdac20cfed3bf4fc1514c229ad0f0.png

1 minute ago, plasticbridge said:

I can't just create a new file ‘cause my work is almost done 😂

Though I actually don't need to expand any stroke, this seems to affect the export function. When my work was exported as EPS or SVG, a lot of the lines got narrower. 

Yes, this is the same bug I had when I exported the broken file to PDF. When I exported it after moving it to the new file the lines was fine. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, plasticbridge said:

That issue was solved! Thank you! But it still got narrower....

image.png.95abdac20cfed3bf4fc1514c229ad0f0.png

Ahh apologies - that actually looks like its caused by the pressure profile on the stroke. If you click the Pressure profile fly out on the Stroke Panel and click 'Reset' you will find it will expand correctly.

It is likely this pressure profile that is causing to to get get expanded on output to PDF. There are certain things that vector formats do not support and in these cases we try to work around them using methods such as Expand Stroke - pressure is one of those things. However in your instance it does seem to be behaving weirdly in that the expanded version is much smaller than what you're seeing on screen. So I will get that passed on over to be looked into.