You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Nita!

The PNGs will also work with Affinity Designer. The vectors will work if they are SVG or EPS files. Probably even if they are AI files, but I'm not sure about that. But I'm afraid, the vector brushes will not be supported by Affinity Designer. But to be sure, you should ask Pixel Bhudda.

19 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Hi Nita!

The PNGs will also work with Affinity Designer. The vectors will work if they are SVG or EPS files. Probably even if they are AI files, but I'm not sure about that. But I'm afraid, the vector brushes will not be supported by Affinity Designer. But to be sure, you should ask Pixel Bhudda.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, iconoclast said:

Hi Nita!

The only problem might be that the (probably most interesting part of this pack, if one wants to be creative) vector brushes won't work.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

41 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

The only problem might be that the (probably most interesting part of this pack, if one wants to be creative) vector brushes won't work.

Pixel Bhudda explicitly emphasised that this package is made for Illustrator. And they also offer stuff for Affinty. So I think it will not work.

24 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Pixel Bhudda explicitly emphasised that this package is made for Illustrator. And they also offer stuff for Affinty. So I think it will not work.

Yes.  I was wondering if this was something Affinity Designer could work with....  Just as Affinity Photo works with many things that are stated to be for Photoshop.

37 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

9 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

Yes.  I was wondering if this was something Affinity Designer could work with....  Just as Affinity Photo works with many things that are stated to be for Photoshop.

Well, Affinity Designer doesn't support vector brushes at all. You can't even create your own. The current "vector" brushes are bitmaps, which follow a path (except for one or two simple, circled brushes IIRC). So before buying, you need to consider whether the other stuff in the pack provides what you searched for.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

24 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Well, Affinity Designer doesn't support vector brushes at all. You can't even create your own. The current "vector" brushes are bitmaps, which follow a path (except for one or two simple, circled brushes IIRC). So before buying, you need to consider whether the other stuff in the pack provides what you searched for.

Obviously, I didn't buy it...

I was, also, hoping that someone would recommend alternatives...

25 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

Obviously, I didn't buy it...

I was, also, hoping that someone would recommend alternatives...

Well, like @iconoclast said, the PNG and suchlike will work. So all the illustrations (islands, buildings, sea monsters, vessels, etc.) are usable. Also the seamless patterns and grids. Those are actually the "more valuable" objects of the pack. As for the brushes, they are not that complicated to reproduce in Designer. (Even easier, if they have a preview bitmap of the brushes in their pack.) They'll just not be true vector, but that shouldn't matter that much in this usecase.

So the pack is quite useful for creating various maps, just the "drawing" of own shapes is restricted unless you recreate the brushes.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

Well, like @iconoclast said, the PNG and suchlike will work. So all the illustrations (islands, buildings, sea monsters, vessels, etc.) are usable. Also the seamless patterns and grids. Those are actually the "more valuable" objects of the pack. As for the brushes, they are not that complicated to reproduce in Designer. (Even easier, if they have a preview bitmap of the brushes in their pack.) They'll just not be true vector, but that shouldn't matter that much in this usecase.

So the pack is quite useful for creating various maps, just the "drawing" of own shapes is restricted unless you recreate the brushes.

Awesome...THANK YOU!

1 hour ago, Nita Reed said:

Awesome...THANK YOU!

But I would suggest to assure yourself by asking Pixel Bhudda anyway, because they emphasize that the package is made for Adobe Illustrator. We had, for example, a thread here in this forum today, about an AI (Adobe Illustrator) file, that wasn't supported by Affinity Designer before it was converted to make it usable. And the conversion had to be made in Illustrator.

3 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

We had, for example, a thread here in this forum today, about an AI (Adobe Illustrator) file, that wasn't supported by Affinity Designer before it was converted to make it usable. And the conversion had to be made in Illustrator.

That was an "Adobe"-EPS (Adobe puts proprietary stuff into those files). But here, all AI-files in the pack are also included as PNG. Also, the images don't look like they have massive gradients in them, which usually cause most problems when importing "Adobe-EPS". 

But it can't harm contacting Pixelbuddha and ask about the PNG's resolution. They should be good for display, but might be too small if the maps should be printed i. e. as a poster or package design.

If it's about starting with designing some maps, free images from vecteezy might be an alternative, at no costs.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

15 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

That was an "Adobe"-EPS (Adobe puts proprietary stuff into those files). But here, all AI-files in the pack are also included as PNG. Also, the images don't look like they have massive gradients in them, which usually cause most problems when importing "Adobe-EPS". 

But it can't harm contacting Pixelbuddha and ask about the PNG's resolution. They should be good for display, but might be too small if the maps should be printed i. e. as a poster or package design.

If it's about starting with designing some maps, free images from vecteezy might be an alternative, at no costs.

Thanks...  I'll check out vecteezy.  I'm not keen on trusting folks over the phone/email/chat...I'll just steer clear