You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings!

Is there any way for the "focus" or cursor be active in a dialog box with out having to mouse and click on it?  (like it used to be)  Example.  When i hit save, i have to click on the name to change it - instead of that name field being immediately active so that i can just start typing.  Thats alot of wasted time that adds up.  Can this be fixed?   (also, in the interest of most work done with least effort - on the ipad version can the "positive" button be consistantly on the right?  Theres one thats on the left, and messes me up every time)

otherwise i think you guys are knocking it out of the park! 

Works on Mac OS 10.14.6 Photo 1.9.3

Which OS are you using?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @safoster71,

On 4/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, safoster71 said:

Is there any way for the "focus" or cursor be active in a dialog box with out having to mouse and click on it?  (like it used to be)  Example.  When i hit save, i have to click on the name to change it - instead of that name field being immediately active so that i can just start typing.

I have just created a new document in Designer & Photo on Big Sur here and then used File > Save - in both cases the title field was automatically selected, allowing me to simply type the name of the file with no additional clicks.

Can you please confirm:

Where is the focus of your cursor when you open the Save dialog, if not in the title field?

Are you using the compacted or expanded version of Finder when using Save/Save As?

Did you purchase the app from the Affinity Store or the Mac App Store?

On 4/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, safoster71 said:

on the ipad version can the "positive" button be consistantly on the right?  Theres one thats on the left, and messes me up every time)

Could you please provide a screenshot or further clarification of which button you're referring to here, so that I can pas this feedback through to our iPad devs?

Thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Sorry, I’ve been buried.  Anyway.   Here are the screenshots.  The difference is between the export (positive on the right) and save as (positive on the left).   I’d suggest keeping them on the same side :-)

on the focus side of things, my general process is to use keyboard shortcut commands (for export) hit the export button, and it used to have the name field selected and I could just start typing.  However recently the name field has not been selected, and requires a click in that field to do so.  since good design is most work for least effort, it would be nice to have the fewest clicks necessary :-). This appears to only be the case on my “Big Sur” iMac, as the MacBook Pro I have still exhibits the proper behavior.

IMG_0975.png

IMG_0976.png

• Staff
7 hours ago, safoster71 said:

Here are the screenshots.  The difference is between the export (positive on the right) and save as (positive on the left).   I’d suggest keeping them on the same side :-)

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I certainly agree and therefore I have logged this with our developers now :)

7 hours ago, safoster71 said:

on the focus side of things, my general process is to use keyboard shortcut commands (for export) hit the export button, and it used to have the name field selected and I could just start typing.  However recently the name field has not been selected, and requires a click in that field to do so.  since good design is most work for least effort, it would be nice to have the fewest clicks necessary :-). This appears to only be the case on my “Big Sur” iMac, as the MacBook Pro I have still exhibits the proper behavior.

That's interesting, thanks for providing more steps with your workflow. I've tried this here and each time the field for the file name was auto-selected and I could begin typing here with no additional mouse or button presses. I tried using the expanded and condensed versions of Finder, exporting to different locations and even adding a 'Tag' to one file, to see if this would cause the next export not to have this field selected - however as can be seen from my below screen recording, this did not change the behaviour for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/im313uvkqdm8jzh/Screen Recording 2021-04-20 at 08.57.45.mov?dl=0

Can you please confirm for me, does this happen for any format and when saving to any location for you?

I'd like to try resetting your Affinity app back to default settings on your Big Sur mac, in the hopes this returns the Finder dialog to the expected behaviour for you. Before we do this I'd like to backup your user data, so that you do not lose any custom brushes, assets macros etc - and should this resolve the issue we can also request a copy of your backed-up data for further testing here.

In order to backup this data, I need to know where the Affinity app was installed from as this can change the install location path. Did you purchase/download the app from the Affinity Store, or the Mac App Store please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

funny story.  I had some big sur issues that lead to me having to boot off the restore partition and do disk first aid.  NOW the problem is "fixed".  Go figure...

I do have one small request to add on this subject though.  Is it possible to have the value input box on "feather" (and others operations like it) auto selected when you hit the shortcut key?  I have to mouse to it and click to change the value.  Thats nothing new, its been that way from the beginning for me 🙂

Thanks!

• Staff
1 hour ago, safoster71 said:

funny story.  I had some big sur issues that lead to me having to boot off the restore partition and do disk first aid.  NOW the problem is "fixed".  Go figure...

Thanks for letting me know - that's certainly strange but I'm very glad to hear it!

1 hour ago, safoster71 said:

I do have one small request to add on this subject though.  Is it possible to have the value input box on "feather" (and others operations like it) auto selected when you hit the shortcut key?  I have to mouse to it and click to change the value.  Thats nothing new, its been that way from the beginning for me 🙂

I can see how this would improve the workflow for users and therefore I'll get it logged as an improvement with our devs now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!