You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas resizing / Snapping unnecessarily slow

M44

If a canvas has many elements on it, then later needs to be resized to allow more space, the processing it takes to do so (in anchor mode or rescale mode) is excessive and completely unnecessary. I have confirmed it is unnecessary by selecting all the elements on the page and hiding them first then resizing, and it happens almost instantly. 

I have noticed many things of this same nature happening and they all have the same pattern: things are being unnecessarily processed.
Many of these are only noticeable when many elements are on the page, but it still does not mean it should not be optimized.

Another similar scenario is if the snap tool is active, any change is considered for snapping, even though it does not qualify. A prime example of this is when using the text tool. When using it, simply clicking a place for it to start a field uses tremendous amount of processing.... and to make matters worse, every keystroke thereafter is susceptible to the same processing. This is not the case if snapping is turned off, which is how I know it is the snapping process that is causing it. We can agree that both clicking to start a field, and typing individual characters does not need to be considered for snapping in any case.

• Staff

Hi M44,

Do you have a document you could attach that demonstrates this please?

If you could also get a screen recording showing the steps you're taking to reproduce both issues that would help us greatly. If you could show all your snapping options in the snapping screen recording that would also help us.

Without this I have no base of comparison to what you're actually seeing.