You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Burn Brush Tool does not work properly

Hello Affinity Team,

I had just tested the Burn Brush Tool and had to find that it does not work as I know it from Adobe Photoshop.
What I mean by that is that in this tool yes the possibility has the areas of shadows, midtones and the lights to choose. But when I used a course as a test, I had to realize that the tool always worked completely, which is not allowed to be.

If I set up the shadow setting, only the dark shades should actually be reinforced.
For middle tones the middle and highlights only the bright shades.

Then I did the same test in Photoshop and there worked as I am used to.

I hang two pictures for comparison.
So that you can do this test yourself, here my approach:

1. Create black and white history.
2. Select the Burn Brush Tool and select the depths.
3. Draw this setting up to five times over the entire course of the entire course.

I also conducted this process for the Midtones and highlights.

It would be great if you revised the functions again, so you get the same results as in Photoshop.

Affinity Photo Burn.jpg

Photoshop Burn.jpg

See my reply to your post on the Dodge Brush

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hello Ron P.

Thanks for the answer. Now I know that Affinity Photo is not Adobe Photoshop and that they work slightly differently. But what I noticed and I'm somewhat disturbs that all shades, no matter what attitude I make, and I can therefore not use this tool as well as the dodge tool for specific work, as I am used to photoshop .
I also use these two tools to create (by a copy of a matching color channel) and correct mask levels. Here it is important that the Burn tool, if I put the attitude on shadows, does not even change the highlights, but what happens in Affinity Photo and not in Photoshop. In Photoshop, the bright shades of 0% -25% are not touched.
And when I use the highlights setting, Photoshop does not change the dark shades of 75% -100%, in Affinity Photo already.

I know the various Dodge and Burn techniques very well, since I have been practicing professional image editing for more than 20 years, all with the Adobe products. But in private, I am more working with the products of Affinity and Co, as I can not afford the monthly subscription from Adobe and not ready to pay this and found a very good alternative with the products of Affinity.