You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing Nodes experience (deleting, moving and selecting)

There is some things I would like to suggest some refinement -- or maybe I'm missing something.

1) Deleting

This may be asked a lot, but I'm missing a alternative to delete nodes other than Backspace/ Delete Keys or Edit > Delete, because I think it is a little less productive to keep moving the hand to the right side of the keyboard then back to the left.

So maybe a modifier in the Node tool, like Alt+Shift or a Toolbar Shortcut (like in Illustrator) would help a lot.

2) Moving after adding node

I'm having some issues trying to move the node right after adding it in the path with the Node tool. It seems like I have wait some miliseconds - usually more than 1000 - to it becomes draggable.

3) Selecting

And also in Illustrator with the Direct Selection Tool, we are able to select the nodes in a path that is not previously selected. In Affinity Designer, with the Node tool, when dragging over a node from a not selected path, it only selects the whole path, then you have to drag select the node again. Maybe it could be a option in Preferences?

Thanks and sorry for any repeated suggestions.

3 hours ago, sirojuntle said:

I'm missing a alternative to delete nodes other than Backspace/ Delete Keys or Edit > Delete, because I think it is a little less productive to keep moving the hand to the right side of the keyboard then back to the left.

What's actually missing as an alternative is the ability to cut (or copy) selected nodes.

I'm having some issues trying to move the node right after adding it in the path with the Node tool. It seems like I have wait some miliseconds - usually more than 1000 - to it becomes draggable.

Can't reproduce that.
Actually the opposite: on my MacBookPro trackpad I can't double-click fast enough for not to be able to move a node after creating it.

In Affinity Designer, with the Node tool, when dragging over a node from a not selected path, it only selects the whole path, then you have to drag select the node again.

I consider this a feature, not a drawback. ;)
Because…

in Illustrator with the Direct Selection Tool, we are able to select the nodes in a path that is not previously selected

Oh boy, how much I hated this behavior!

That said…

Maybe it could be a option in Preferences?

I'm all for options. :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Maybe it could be a option in Preferences?

On a second thought:
Do you have "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" active in Preferences > Tools?
I don't, so I don't even encounter this behavior at all.

The major difference to AI's Direct Selection tool (at least until CS5, don't know about CC) is that the Node only does "Select All" on previously selected curves, but not on the unselected ones. This Affinity feature alone is a strike of genius, as far as I'm concerned, because it allows completely new workflows.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Hey, Thanks for replying!

15 minutes ago, loukash said:

What's actually missing as an alternative is the ability to cut (or copy) selected nodes.

Yes, or just the "Real Delete"

Can't reproduce that.
Actually the opposite: on my MacBookPro trackpad I can't double-click fast enough for not to be able to move a node after creating it.

It actually is looking like a performance Issue. I'm on PC, but I have a good setup.

I consider this a feature, not a drawback. ;)
Because…

Oh boy, how much I hated this behavior!

Yes, this one thing is some thing I could get used too.

Affinity has no much more well thoughts tools than Vanilla Illustrator, but in general, I feel like I'm taking 2 or 3 more times to do any simple task I used to in Illustrator. :(

I'm also frustrated that hitting any Tool Shortcut twice toggles with Move tool.

Do you have "Select object when intersects with selection marquee" active in Preferences > Tools?

I have this activated. I just tested with ON and OFF and it doesn't change this what I'm trying.

Thank you again!

• 4 months later...

There should be an option to simply select and delete a node.

This need to break node actually adds an additional node which is counter intuitive when you want to get rid of something.

I hope there are plans to simplify this way too complex and unnecessary process.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:43 PM, sirojuntle said:

I'm also frustrated that hitting any Tool Shortcut twice toggles with Move tool.

I hated this also, but in the Preferences>Tools>Use shift modifier to cycle tools will stop this.  It stops the toggling of tools so hitting A more than once you will still be in the node tool.  Same for all the tools.  BUT there is an issue with this.  The second A hit will cause designer to search out a layer with a name starting with A and if it is found then it will change layers on you.  Which can be even more annoying.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra