You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF pass through and fonts not being embedded

Bryce

Hello,

I've noticed on that we had a couple of ads, and I am providing one of them, that the fonts that are embedded in a PDF are not passing through correctly in Publisher. This was on 1.9.2

Paulding Carnegie Lib HW 2x2 14.pdf

image001.png.14293f56b0d52080d75a4a71b2c2e082.png

I know there was a new update, but I'm not sure what is going on. The PDF shows the font embedded.

I had caught and fixed another ad that did this too. This one I missed before going to print.

thanks!

Your screenshot shows what I would expect to see if subsetting is enabled. Because the embedded font is missing the glyph for the ‘ti’ ligature you’re getting a ‘Ć’ glyph instead.

Disabling subsetting (i.e. forcing the entire font to be embedded) should fix the problem.

On a side note, it would be more consistent to have the times both stated as ‘{start} to {end}’ or ‘{start} till {end}’ rather than one of each.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Can you provide the .afpub document, and the PDF it includes, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here is the PDF - page 11. WBNews14-21.pdf

Here is the AFPUB file: 

Alfred - I would not expect that to happen, as it doesn't in other programs. I have been dealing with embedded fonts for nearly 20 years with Indesign. Subsetting is common and the correct way when fonts won't allow the full embedding. All characters that are used are embedded and nothing else. I believe this to be a bug if it doesn't put in the ligature.

thanks for you help!

14-21.afpub

On 4/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, Bryce said:

fonts that are embedded in a PDF are not passing through correctly in Publisher.

When I place in v.193 your Paulding.PDF and Klopfenstein.PDF as Passthrough + export them with preset "for print" (all fonts & subset) I get both the ligature 'ti' and the Garamond font successfully. That makes me wonder what were your export settings in the 'More' section? Or whether your macOS 10.15, respectively its Quartz PDFContext "Build 19H524 ApendMode 1.1" might influence the issue?

v193 paulding-ligature & klopfenstein-font.pdf

316547192_v193paulding-ligatureklopfenstein-font.thumb.jpg.19c60945e81ad7132125e08e8a379466.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The Klopfenstein pdf was made in Indesign several years ago. What's funny is that it's not noticeable until it's exported. Affinity shows it correct. It's only once it is exported that is wrong. I have my own preset on it that is the "for print" modified to include PDF/X4 compliance, otherwise it get a lot of blacks turn to a CMYK mix on the second export.