You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The ability to apply a gradient mask to a pattern layer and keep the pattern editable

pattern layers can be layered in a graphic and bit can be erased out to show the layers underneath which is quite useful but what I would like to do is apply a gradient mask to a pattern layer so I could at any time go back in and adjust the gradient mask to adjust the transparent areaof the pattern layer.  Currently when you apply a gradient mask to a pattern layer the pattern no longer repeats.  I may be asking for things that are not possible but I would be really great if a gradient mask could become a pattern layer and be nested as a child layer of another pattern layer so you could adjust the pattern and its transparency seaparately

Do you apply the Mask as a child layer? If I now select either Mask I can edit it.

1718385042_ScreenShot2021-04-14at9_10_20AM.png.89b0ad60ca62811be468e0be571a59ec.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, Angelize said:

I applied the mask to the pattern layer using the gradient tool but once the mask was applied the pattern no longer repeated.

Did you first add a Mask Layer to the Pattern Layer and then use the gradient tool on the Mask Layer? Or did you draw the gradient on the Pattern Layer in the hope that the gradient would mask the pattern?

Does your Layers Panel look like this? The gradient is on/in the Mask Layer going from White (100% opacity) to Black (100% opacity). White reveals and Black Conceals the Pattern layer and you can see the pink to green layer underneath it. The Pattern Layer is a Yellow 'line' with Pink Dot.

1073076621_ScreenShot2021-04-17at10_48_01AM.png.f7f91b0b119a3bf4f1003005658cc0a2.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Ok so what I figured out was if I drag the mask into the pattern as a child layer the pattern is no longer repeated but if I group the mask and and the pattern the mask is still only applied to the pattern and the pattern remains editable and I can still edit the gradient if I wish which is basically what I wanted.  however the gradient mask can not repeat as a pattern.  I suspect the gradient is vector which is why when used as a child layer it breaks the pattern.  What I want is do able after all which is cool!  however it would be nice to be able to ha an editable repeating gradient which I suppose will have to wait until vector patterns are added to Designer.   

Are you wanting to apply transparency to the pattern so the transparency is part of the pattern? And the transparency needs to be editable? I really don't know what it is you are trying to achieve here, if you could post an image of the pattern and indicate where you want the transparency to occur it might help me get an idea of what you want to do.