You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Affinity Designer seems like a great photoshop replacement, although I am wondering if there is support for smart objects created in photoshop. I use a lot of phone mock ups to preview app designs, which depend on smart objects. 

Thanks

• Staff

If you're talking about smart objects in a PSD file, that is something I still have to add to PSD import. It will get done soon, as I am working on PSD import and export currently.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 8 months later...

Hey there! Firstly: awesome tool. Downloaded it in a pinch when I formatted my system disk as case-sensitive, which totally breaks Adobe's nasty old codebase. I'm now trying to completely remove Adobe from my computer, and this feature's definitely a blocker: I have been quite heavy-handed with vector smart objects over the years, which allow really powerful interoperability between Illustrator and Photoshop. Without this, almost all of my vector work will be inaccessible.

I'm not sure how smart objects are stored internally, but if their contents could be expanded and grouped on import this would be a massive win for my use case.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We still need to work out what we are going to do for smart objects in Affinity.  As we don't have a strategy, we cannot yet import them from PSD.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...

Smart Object support is a tough one to solve, since they may contain both Photoshop generated content and Illustrator generated content. The obscure and lacking documentation regarding the PSD format, as well as the ever-moving target (PSD) make it extra difficult to deal with SOs.

The only application outside Photoshop that I know of that opens PSD files with Smart Objects is the latest beta of Photoline. It opens Smart Objects with layered PSD content, and it will open Smart Objects with pdf-based Illustrator content. Even more impressive: the actual content of both can be opened in a new windows (just like Photoshop), and even the Illustrator content can directly be edited in Photoline. Or sent to an external application such as InkScape. In Photoline SOs are opened as placeholder layers.

It took those guys also a year before Smart Object support was added. It is possible, but not the easiest thing to pull off.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
18 minutes ago, pcote said:

7 years later… this feature is still nowhere to be found… so we still have to rely on Photoshop to open older files. 🤦‍♂️

Affinity Photo can open PSD files with Smart Objects, though there are still some Photoshop object functions that are not supported (and there's no list of what works and what doesn't, as far as I know).

image.png.648019b0c4699ea79d541ddd9009d1d6.png

You have to enable that Preference; it's not a default setting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1