You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to simulate the limitations of color gamuts from 2 different color profiles in a editable way.

A random picture containing colours that are possible in the RGB spectrum, could be a color circle for example. Using filters, adjustment layers or other techniques to simulate something in between RGB and CMYK is the goal. Less colours than possible in RGB but more colours than possible in CMYK. 

The result should be something in the middle between RGB/8 sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and CMYK/8 U.S Web Coated (SWOP) v2.

I am curios and I want to learn, so any input regarding this is welcome.

Estimate Result.jpg

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

Hi,

nice to meet others with similar mindset of trying impossible things, or do possible things with the wrong tool (Photo).

The most capable tool in principle for this challenge is procedural texture filter. Unfortunately, it currently lacks most color format conversions, even basic RGB to HSL must be done with basic math. (I have these ready to share if needed).
I think a simplified version of your target “result” using a triangle shape might be practical.

general steps:

• convert from source color format into LAB (assuming LAB is good enough approximation)
  • define equations to clamp colors on the 3 sides of the triangle (stored in temp variables)
  • If you could provide the equations for the 3 sides of the triangle this would help
  • Use sign() function as helper for if/then/else decision trees to combine intermediate results

Looking forward to collaborate in this challenge 

Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, ed lazer said:

I want to simulate the limitations of color gamuts from 2 different color profiles in a editable way.

Try using a Soft proof Adjustment layer

2003316624_ScreenShot2021-04-14at12_35_13PM.thumb.png.34c1f55fc62543d8f48a249f140fd615.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Try using a Soft proof Adjustment layer

Thanks for the input, did that with an opacity of 75%. It does the trick quite well... 

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

18 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Hi,

nice to meet others with similar mindset of trying impossible things, or do possible things with the wrong tool (Photo).

The most capable tool in principle for this challenge is procedural texture filter. Unfortunately, it currently lacks most color format conversions, even basic RGB to HSL must be done with basic math. (I have these ready to share if needed).
I think a simplified version of your target “result” using a triangle shape might be practical.

general steps:

• convert from source color format into LAB (assuming LAB is good enough approximation)
  • define equations to clamp colors on the 3 sides of the triangle (stored in temp variables)
  • If you could provide the equations for the 3 sides of the triangle this would help
  • Use sign() function as helper for if/then/else decision trees to combine intermediate results

Looking forward to collaborate in this challenge 

Timo

Looks like I triggered someone ;)