You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.5)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Notable changes:

- Live preview of compound object boolean mode

- Overprint black

- Fully support El Capitan split-view

- Enabled monochromatic icons

- Fixed cycling of tool shortcuts

- Fixed international character input

- Improved PDF import/export

- Added user-adjustable controller ramps for brush variances

- Added recent fonts to dropdown

- Improved iCloud file syncing and merging

- Added cancel button to export progress panels

- Added Registration colour

- Improved file size of PSD export

- Updated help

- Fix for Ctrl-run up issues

- Numerous stability fixes

FYI, I just noticed that the Pantone colors have no names when viewed in List mode in the Swatches palette...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

MattP,

Thanks for another solid update, each one gets better and better! I'm always excited to see what new goodies have been added! I don't know if it was added this time or last time but I like the context toolbar controls for the shapes! Very handy! I'm still hoping for a "Hide/Show All" for objects (not the one that currently appears in the keyboard shortcuts because that one hides the program, I want to hide objects)! 

Hokusai

post-3209-0-84199900-1445009092_thumb.png

Easy suggestion: If you change the default keyboard shortcuts for Select Previous Layer Cmd + Opt + [ and Select Next Layer Cmd + Opt to simply Opt + [ or ] respectively, it will aid those with PS memory muscle and it will work by default with Wacom tablets with the Touch Ring. Thanks for your consideration.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Selecting two Art Text objects and then attempting to resize them, over-rides the default resize behavior for text (resize proportionally) and allows one to resize the text objects and loose the correct proportion. Perhaps it should not do this when all selected objects are text objects, or if one of the selected objects is text object... thanks for your consideration

I can confirm this, I get this same issue when I compared the performance of the MAS vs the latest beta.

Still having issues (since last beta 1.3.5.4) with slow panning and zooming when the grid is on, seems to only be an issue with any grid other than the automatic grid. I've tested this on my 5K iMac, Retina Macbook and Retina Macbook Pro. Custom grids work fine in the MAS version.

I'm getting consistent crashes when activating fonts via FontExplorerX Pro. This started with the last 2 betas  :unsure:

Also if I activate a font while AD is running, then go to Prefs and Reset Fonts, AD doesn't recognize the newly activated fonts... :(

Have the ways in which font loading is handled changed with El Cap?

- Updated help

Please, what was updated? "Expressions for field input” is still missing in the German version since a year. New users do not know why they get wrong results because they do not know the very special syntax. No word anywhere. Why must we repeat and repeat and repeat?

Where can we find a boolean mode? Where is it explained in the help?

Is it a good idea to explain features with just two words? Users search and search and ask and ask … for example for the overprint black … You just want to test the audience? Of course, whole life is a quiz, but this is not a Hape Kerkeling show, we guess.

I love the fact that the Character/Paragraph panel bug that was causing crashes is gone in Affinity Photo at least, so I'm guessing that Designer should be in the clear, too… Great work from the team, and I can't thank Andrew Tang enough for his patience and dedication! :D

The only problem is… I've downloaded the AD Beta .dmg twice already, and I got that dreadful “damaged application; must trash it” warning from the Finder. Could this be some sort of issue with your AWS server? :\

Oh, by the way, the Finder doesn't detect any errors during the .dmg checking stage, which makes it even more weird. Certainly, if it was corrupted, it shouldn't pass that test at all, right?

[Edit: nevermind. I searched the fourms and found this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4866-cannot-download-beta-due-to-damaged-file/

I should've guessed that something could be amiss with Gatekeeper – maybe there's an issue with your certificate? – so, like the last poster, I turned it off for the first run and, lo and behold, it opens just fine now… And yes, the bug is gone! ;) ]

[Edit #2: Holy cr*p, what a pleasant surprise! Affinity now puts my floating panels on the secondary screen where they belong when my iMac wakes from sleep! Thanks guys, this wasn't even a critical bug, but talk about a quick turnaround…  :D Also: Serif – 1, Adobe – 0 ^^ ]

I'm getting consistent crashes when activating fonts via FontExplorerX Pro. This started with the last 2 betas  :unsure:

Also if I activate a font while AD is running, then go to Prefs and Reset Fonts, AD doesn't recognize the newly activated fonts... :(

Have the ways in which font loading is handled changed with El Cap?

Well… I'm also running FEX Pro and, and first, it didn't seem to be an issue here (I am not getting the crashes you speak of, at least). I get a spinning beach ball for a few seconds, but fonts appear and disappear from the drop-down menu, and render properly on the list (when deactivated, they will still appear on the topmost, “recents” section, albeit rendered temporarily in San Francisco, which is pretty much standard behaviour).

However, the text itself will not update properly, and “reset fonts” will not work, as you said. :\

By the way, now that you brought it up, I have to ask: can we expect FEX Pro plugins for Affinity apps in the future? And would those be provided by you or by Monotype? This is just ignorance on my part, I have no idea where they come from, I only know that they're available from the Plugins panel…

This would be an absolute must for going head to head with Adobe and Quark, IMHO…

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Notable changes:

- Overprint black

- Updated help

- Overprint black, how do I access the control for this feature (choose on/off - stroke/fill)? This is the first time I have not been able to find a new feature. Please advise.  :huh:

I found it! Didn't realise it was a very basic on/off choice for exporting to PDF with no control of the object's actual properties… 

post-10932-0-70833600-1445058816_thumb.png

Matt, it would be useful to allow individual, per-color overprint, not just limit it to black... Also it might be good to have that set up via the swatches palette as well... awesome work!

Notable changes:

- Overprint black

- Updated help

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.