You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to export icon files (*.ico) in Designer

On 7/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, Dinkelborg said:

This thread has been open for 6 years, constantly active and totally reasonable as a feature request 
and its the second feature that I've basically been waiting on for years to at some point be integrated. 

For some, this function is necessary - and therefore the requirement seems reasonable to him, but for someone else (maybe most) it is completely useless, or it can be bypassed in a very easy way. This may also be the reason why this requirement (and many others) has such a low priority, and Serif solves far more important and necessary things from his point of view. So this requirement can remain active for a long time, and maybe forever.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

There are several export formats that are useless to me, but useful to others. ICO would be useful as it's still the only widely-supported, 'scalable' format. Sure, SVG is more scalable, but not supported by Safari. The other bitmap formats require multiple images, and multiple LINK elements in the HEAD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made my own solution to making icons since we cannot rely on Serif for everything. It is and open source project I called MakeIcon (yes, it is my own).

If Serif had support for plugins/extensions, I would certainly try and work out how to convert this project into one so I didn't have to export the images before creating the icon but they don't.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Would be nice if affinity could support ico natively, but if not, would be nice if there was good plugin support so that the community could make plugins to do things such as ico support.

Especially given the description on the website: 

Affinity Designer
Best in class for creating concept art, print projects, logos, icons, UI designs, mock-ups and more

Unfortunately, some programs still use .ico files and other old file types. For now, I still have competing products installed because they give me the option to make .ico files (through plugins). You can't always rely on the internet having online convertors (I've seen a few convertors disappear, including one I was maintaining (wasn't able to afford the upkeep at the time)). Downloadable programs are a maybe. In this case, I do have a program that allows for an .ico plugin, but that same program somewhat recently broke the plugin, which meant a new plugin needed to be made.

Edited by Nol Mimi Reyalta
Additional information. Typo correction.

Both the .ico format (Windows) and .icns format (Mac) are designed to hold multiple versions of raster icons at different resolutions.

In other words, I might have the same icon at 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and 128x128 together in one file.

As these icons would generally need to be maintained as a unit but still be optimized for each individual resolution, I would argue that a dedicated tool is most appropriate for working with these formats.

Using a program like Designer to manage icons is more appropriate for vector icon formats, and for icons which will only be exported at a single resolution.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

+1 ..Game developers need this since we need .ico to upload to Steam for example. If you are going to implement this then you need to support multi-res. That is, I need to be able to include 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, and 256x256  resolutions in the one file.

Probably not high priority though since there are a lot of online generators for this. I actually currently use GIMP to export the .ico files. Krita also supports it but does not seem to handle multires (although I did not research this to deeply since Gimp worked).

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, loukash said:

Apple's Preview.app can convert existing *.icns files to *.ico

For what it's worth… I just got another "like" for my old post, alas it is no more true: 
On Ventura, although you can select Microsoft Icon from the Save As menu, saving will fail with the "The document “…” could not be exported" message.
"Thank you", Apple, for crippling Preview with every new OS upgrade!

In theory, the free XnViewMP should be capable of saving images as *.ico but in my tests right now it crashes every time.
So from my app collection, it's now upon GraphicConverter (not free).

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 months later...