You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to export icon files (*.ico) in Designer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael... 

It would be nice to have an ico export or the ability to use external plugins.

In Photoshop i use the telegraphic plugin to do it. Don't know if Affinity Photo will accept Photoshop plugins...

To tell you the truth in the last year working only with Wordpress, my Theme accepts a gif file for the favicon and Wordpress in the latest update accepts gifs, jpg or jpg to create site icons.

Sometimes when I remember i still create the ico file and put it in the root folder  (15 years habits are hard to forget) but have found it's now not necessary for the sites I develop...

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Also, there are many online ico generators where you can just upload any format (PNG, JPEG, GIF, …) and it will make an ICO file out of it (and even other variants like app icons). It’s an additional task but I don’t suppose you’re creating favicons in industrial scales, so for the odd favicon it may be fine to just use these and not bother the developers with this function.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For now though I just use IcoFX Portable, which is free and very feature rich.

Thanks for that. I knew of IcoFX as a paid app, but I wasn't aware that there's a free portable version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody,

Using just PNG or GIF might seems as easy and OK option but if you want BEST results you need to have separate image for each scale of the icon, since in some cases the icons are very small and you really have to craft those image on the pixel level to make them crisp and clean. You cannot just resample the same image, that way you can get pretty blurry or aliased icons.

So the ICO is the must if you are concerned about best results.

I hope Affinity will get this feature soon, so we can export everything in the batch without having some special custom steps in production to construct ICO files manually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, there are many online ico generators where you can just upload any format (PNG, JPEG, GIF, …) and it will make an ICO file out of it (and even other variants like app icons). It’s an additional task but I don’t suppose you’re creating favicons in industrial scales, so for the odd favicon it may be fine to just use these and not bother the developers with this function.

not a very good Idea. The point of affinity designer is the vector environment meaning you can scale this thing without problems up to infinity if you like, and since good .ico files usually have multiple sizes, using a raster image isnt well, the best Idea.

if you can just let the export persona deal with the scaling for the ico files, that would be long story short, awesome.

icofx portable download no longer free, installs as trials. Any other utilities that work great for Windows?  I was expecting to find a huge list of exportable options in the persona view as the first time I have to work on a big artboard set and was disappointed not to find ICO as an option.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, My1 said:

not a very good Idea. The point of affinity designer is the vector environment meaning you can scale this thing without problems up to infinity if you like, and since good .ico files usually have multiple sizes, using a raster image isnt well, the best Idea.

if you can just let the export persona deal with the scaling for the ico files, that would be long story short, awesome.

Sorry for the late response but I only noticed it just now.

What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense.

1. An ICO file is just a raster graphic as well (and an outdated format, for that matter). You can export your vector as PNG and, as I said, use an online converter for the odd ICO you need.
  2. There is absolutely no need for multiple sizes of an ICO file because that’s a proprietary format by Microsoft and only really needed in (equally outdated) MS applications/OSs. If we’re talking about favicons for browsers there is ever only one size used, and that is 16×16px.
  3. Modern browsers/applications use more modern file formats like PNG (I think some even SVG) and these can be used in different sizes.

My conclustion: Don’t bother about ICO favicons anymore unless you’re supporting outdated browsers/applications.

5 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

My conclustion: Don’t bother about ICO favicons anymore unless you’re supporting outdated browsers/applications.

Or outdated operating systems? On Windows, collections of icons are often stored in DLL files, but ICO files are still widely used.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...