You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a reflection of a boat in the water?

How can I create a reflection of the boat in the water?  I've watched a few videos, one in which you create a duplicate of the boat then flip it vertically, then apply a displacement filter, which did not have the desired effect. 

-Thanks

image.png.f6f88f6afd380fa143dabc012e0a7dff.png

This one explains the basic ideas pretty well:
youtu.be/yxYK_wo3HpE

I would do a few things slightly differently, but you can often achieve more or less the same result by using different tools.
Also, the Displace filter is now available live and non-destructively.

Also, watch a few tutorials how to actually paint a water reflection. Those will explain the actual physics that you need to understand first if you want it to look realistically.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

15 hours ago, loukash said:

This one explains the basic ideas pretty well:
youtu.be/yxYK_wo3HpE

I would do a few things slightly differently, but you can often achieve more or less the same result by using different tools.
Also, the Displace filter is now available live and non-destructively.

Also, watch a few tutorials how to actually paint a water reflection. Those will explain the actual physics that you need to understand first if you want it to look realistically.

Thanks.  I would definitely have used the live displace filter had I known that!  Using the displace filter and changing the opacity of the duplicated boat, I wound up with the shadow below.  I'll definitely check out the video though.

image.png.87bd33340fb6eb82eafb401d62eddeb9.png

Looking at a reflection of a simple rowing boat, the seating area is not shown, it's the side of the boat that is reflected so, selecting the side of the boat and copying that to a layer to make the reflection is a more appropriate technique. Also the top edge of the boat will be more convex than concave in the reflection. Another aspect of a reflection is the fact you can sometimes see the side of the boat you can't see in the physical view so in the case of the image below, you can extend the dark part of the boat to give the impression of seeing the dark side of the boat at the front.

Made this to go with my cup of tea...
148110322_Rowingboatreflection.png.e73a628fe70095cb5ac4fc394c972df5.png

Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. A bit of trial and error to test some ideas but the latter part of the history gets what I was trying to achieve. It's still not to my satisfaction but it's halfway there.

Decent looking reflection.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions