You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash after refining a selection

Xarvo

I am new in this forum and I’m not sure whether this is the right way to go about: 

I have the same issue and found out that it only happens with photographs which come originally from my iPhone XR. I tried lots of workarounds including falling back on JPEG instead of HEIC, and lots of other things. Affinity photo is always crashing when I try to clip it to a new layer with mask. 

English isn’t my mother tongue and I hope my posting is comprehensible.

I am working on an iPad 8th generation, iOS 14.4.2. Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2.236

@Gabe I am using an iPad Air 3 with the latest version of iPad OS and the latest version of Affinity Photo. I am having the same problem in Affinity Designer doing the same process. I've found that the problem is more common when the process is more complex. So when I add and remove parts of the selection, refine and add something to the background or foreground, the problem arises more.

Edited by Xarvo

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I am experiencing the same issue. Is there a fix in the work for this?

The crashing makes it impossible to do any selects on Affinity Photo for iPad. My current solution is to do it on my husbands MacBook which is less than ideal. 

iPad Air 3 

iOS 14.5 

• 4 weeks later...

It is one of the problem which bothers me too. I am using ipad 8 with latest ipad os and affinity photo 1.9.2. My app crash everytime when i tried to achieve the refined selection and change the output mode to new layer. Hit apply and booom

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing the very same issue with an iPad Air 3 running the latest version of AP: it crashes with almost every file. The only time it doesn’t crash is with files having a very low resolution. Try something like 256 x 256 and make a refined selection: that should work. I think there’s something wrong with memory management.

Please Serif: support the iPad Air better (there are also other model specific issues I’ve reported).

Best regards

Russell