You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lighten a dark face in an already bright picture

I should tell you that this is my first post here. I am very new to Affinity and to post photo world concepts so please forgive my ignorance. 

I have watched some of the beginning videos and spent most of my time rewinding. Too fast and in the icons in the program in the videos the are too small for a beginner. I never did find out how to do what I want to do.

I just want to lighten some dark (shadowed) faces in some already borderline oversaturated photos due to hats worn to shadow the bright sun on our last vacation. 

The pictures are in my Photos Library.   Although I haven't move up I understand El Capitan will allow 3rd party editing programs.  Hope that will include Affinity as I want to learn it.

Thanx for any and all help. :)

Cmajor7

• Staff

Hi Cmajor7

Welcome to the Forums :)

To import photos from your Photos Library press ⇧⌘M to bring up the Media Browser and navigate to the Photos section here you should be able to import all of your photos. Once you have brought your photo into the app you will need to select the area of the persons face that you want to make lighter. If you are unsure of how to make Selections then I would suggest watching this tutorial. Once you have your selection you will want to apply an Adjustment to it. If you are unsure of where to find the Adjustments or how to apply them then this tutorial should be able to help you with that. The Adjustments I would suggest using to make the faces lighter are: Brightness/Contrast, Curves and Shadows and Highlights. This should give you the desired effect. 

Please let me know if you need anymore help :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 4 years later...

Welcome to the forums @Janabanana,

Those posts are 5 yrs old, and they've changed/updated the tutorials, however they are still accessible. I'm going to provide you with a link to the Legacy Affinity Photo Tutorials. Just scroll down to the Selections and Masking section. There's a few links to the old tutorials, but should still be applicable.

Legacy Affinity Photo Tutorials

Current Affinity Photo Tutorials

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD