You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Oktoberfest beer price analysis title pic

gre_sch

Dear all,

I am writing a Data Science article about beer price development in the last 35 years. For this I created a title image that should run with the article. 

However, I have the feeling that I got a little carried away. 😐 I would appreciate your feedback. 🙂

• First impressions?
  • Would you click on the image/ article?
  • What would you do differently?

Thank you so much!

All the best

Greg

2021-04 r-Oktoberfest title 02a.jpg

• First impressions? Colourful, imaginative use of the blue and white check pattern, 
  • Would you click on the image/ article? Probably not, but I am both teetotal and vegan so no interest in the topic! But if someone were interested in the topic might well do if there were some indication that there is an article rather than the analysis being thought to be all in the graphic. Does it need a shape with the text 'Please click for article' upon it?
  • What would you do differently? I would not have had the relative positions of beer and chicken histograms counterchanged in the middle panel. I would have made that centre panel brown at left and yellow at right so as to be consistent. Also, as in two panels brown is at the left, would the title be better as 'Beer and chicken price analysis' so that the words 'Beer' and 'chicken' are in the same relative positions as in the histograms? I would add a shape with the text 'Please click for article' upon it.

I notice that the sixth chess board from the left is over the rightmost panel. Is that deliberate? It does seem to add a bit of liveliness to the design.

Is the light blue and white check design based on the lonzengy check design that refers in some way to Munich?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

I notice that the sixth chess board from the left is over the rightmost panel.

That’s just an optical illusion!

735DEC11-E6E8-4906-ADD0-7F1C1A2BE108.jpeg.667a825ca38c081d9e16e5384ce58b1d.jpeg

I agree with the rest of your analysis. The colours and the left-right placement of both the bars and the labels (chicken & beer) should be consistent, and the rightmost panel should show a bar chart like the other two (without a black line on the chart and around the squares in the legend).

The heading on the third panel might be better worded as “...and left the beer market as a more than 90 million euro business.” I’m not a huge fan of the greatly overused Papyrus font but I think it actually works quite well for the text below the main “Oktoberfest” heading.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What are these (shown below)?

They look like "Titles" but they have no text

Or they could be "Clickable Buttons" but again they have no text

If they are not Titles/Buttons and just part of the design, maybe remove them as they look like they should contain something but they do not.

buttons2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On the whole I like the design. I'd agree with what Alfred and carl123 say. Also, being very picky, I would prefer it if, in the left-hand chart, some of the numbers at the top were not covered with the brown bars. Also, it might be better if the check pattern under the chicken and beer images at the top were the same size on both sides. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 hours ago, William Overington said:

Is the light blue and white check design based on the lonzengy check design that refers in some way to Munich?

William

I assume it should resemble the Bavarian banner of arms and can be found everywhere at Oktoberfest times. But it really should be a diamond pattern instead of a check design, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Bavaria. Some of the locals are really picky about that and this would be the first and only thing they notice...

1 hour ago, JotHa said:

I assume it should resemble the Bavarian banner of arms and can be found everywhere at Oktoberfest times. But it really should be a diamond pattern instead of a check design, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Bavaria. Some of the locals are really picky about that and this would be the first and only thing they notice...

Ah it is fusily in bends for Bavaria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_the_field

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

If they are not Titles/Buttons and just part of the design, maybe remove them as they look like they should contain something but they do not.

I assumed that they’re meant to be the spring clips which are typically found on clipboards but they could do with some detail (e.g. texture and/or a 3D effect) to make it more obvious.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I assumed that they’re meant to be the spring clips which are typically found on clipboards but they could do with some detail (e.g. texture and/or a 3D effect) to make it more obvious.

Now you mention it I believe you may be correct but they defiantly need some more detail to make it obvious what they are

clipboards.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.