You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

seven years ago

I've to convert many images to size 1500px x 1500px without lost aspect ratio

Affinity photo can do this ?

7 years ago some people using a simple linux command..

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29073639/resizing-the-image-with-padding-using-convert-on-ubuntu

:)

Assuming you have multiple images to convert, and all of them have to be a maximum of 1500x1500 (while still using the existing aspect ratio) use New Batch Job... from the File menu. On the left side of the dialog box, use the ADD button to specify which images you will resize. On the right side, use the "Save into:" choice to specify a new folder into which your converted images will be written. Then, choose the format (in the screenshot below, I have use "Save as JPEG." Enter 1500 in both the width (W) and the height (H) fields, and leave the "A" box checked. The "A" checkmark indicates that you want the Aspect Ratio to be unchanged. (You can also click the 3 dots on the right to specify other stuff, like the color profile to use, whether or not to include metadata, etc.)

652170589_NewBatch.jpg.fabb0bd53817e8c2ede01ffc7bd0b14e.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

41 minutes ago, smadell said:

Assuming you have multiple images to convert, and all of them have to be a maximum of 1500x1500 (while still using the existing aspect ratio)

If you look at the stackoverflow discussion mentioned in the first post, the desire is to have them be exactly 1500x1500, not a max of 1500x1500, regardless of original size or aspect ratio. If the original aspect is not a square, then the image should have background padding added as necessary to retain all image data but end up with a 1500x1500 px square output.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Irfanview's batch conversion will do all of that. Set the new size to "set one or both sides to 1500x1500, preserve the aspect ratio, then look for the Canvas Size/Add Image Border option, and pick a background colour for the canvas (or duplicate-blur part of the image into the canvas borders).

Simple. Irfanview is one of the oldest (and best) image viewers and completely free.

https://www.irfanview.com/

The approach I would take is to create a two-step macro. The first would resize your image to your maximum size, perhaps using a macro such as I describe here. You can use the steps I give substituting 1500 for the MAXSIZE.

The second stage would be to use  Document > Resize Canvas setting both width and height to 1500 (unlocking the aspect ratio).

You could combine these two stages in one macro and call it from your Batch Job.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Simple. Irfanview is (...) completely free.

No, it is not (for commercial use).

"USAGE AGREEMENT
IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use (that means at home).

IrfanView is free for educational use (schools, universities, museums and libraries) and for use in charity or humanitarian organisations.

If you intend to use IrfanView at your place of business or for commercial purposes, please register and purchase it.
Commercial users: please contact me by E-Mail for prices and discounts.
(the price for one (single) license: US$ 12.00 or EUR 10,00; discounts for 11+ licenses)
(perpetual license, valid for all 32 and 64 bit versions)"

3 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

No, it is not (for commercial use).

"USAGE AGREEMENT
IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial use (that means at home).

IrfanView is free for educational use (schools, universities, museums and libraries) and for use in charity or humanitarian organisations.

If you intend to use IrfanView at your place of business or for commercial purposes, please register and purchase it.
Commercial users: please contact me by E-Mail for prices and discounts.
(the price for one (single) license: US$ 12.00 or EUR 10,00; discounts for 11+ licenses)
(perpetual license, valid for all 32 and 64 bit versions)"

I stand corrected! I have been using IrfanView since - well, since Windows 95 times. At the time it was, I think, free.

Just checked via Wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20001019015314/https://www.irfanview.com/

It used to be freeware. Anyway, $12 is a steal for commercial use: IrfanView is very useful for batch work. It's been part of my toolset since the nineties.

Which means I am getting a license this week, because I wasn't aware of the change in license. Thank you for making me aware of this.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, walt.farrell said:

If the original aspect is not a square, then the image should have background padding added as necessary to retain all image data but end up with a 1500x1500 px square output.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, blondie63 said:

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for and I haven't found any software that does

On 4/12/2021 at 12:17 PM, blondie63 said:

I still find it very strange that famous and modern programs don't have such useful functions

Some famous and modern (Mac) programs that do have such useful function:

• Apple Automator
    automator_crop.png.b6c68ab0f1d28047926f3c26a91c9fb8.png

• GraphicConverter:
    gc_crop.png.ae8526b6cb5cfce5e98773c64b64250c.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2