You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default color-profile for images without one?

The Camera-App on my Samsung Smartphone is able to save Photos in JPG- and in HEIC-Format.
When opening the JPGs, Photo converts them to my working-profile.
But when opening the HEIC-Images, Photo assigns my working-Profile (...which results in wrong colors..) since there is no color-profile-info in the file, Photo says.
(if that is true, that is Samsung´s fault - no doubt...)

How about an option to tell Photo which color-profile to use/assume in case this info is missing in a file?
Or, even better: ask me which (source-) profile to use during import?

25 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

But when opening the HEIC-Images, Photo assigns my working-Profile (...which results in wrong colors..) since there is no color-profile-info in the file, Photo says.

If there is no embedded profile there's really no way to "convert" from one, and "assign" is all that's possible. And in "assigning" it Photo is using the one you've told it to use.

Can you provide one of the HEIC images that has this problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If there is no embedded profile there's really no way to "convert" from one, and "assign" is all that's possible. And in "assigning" it Photo is using the one you've told it to use.

Can you provide one of the HEIC images that has this problem?

Perhaps I could not explain my suggestion properly:
I suggest that Photo "temporarily adds" Color-Profile-Info to an image during import to be able to do a conversion to the working profile.
Im my case the HEIC-Images looked OK as soon as I assigned sRGB. (the images are about 10MB big - makes me hesitate to post them here..)

image.png.4b1e0e4f67f3b69d423db7aa374969a6.png

Untitled.jpg.021ce0e41a2c696c1d3b4b597bca6c81.jpg