You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need more info pcdlibrary.

Have you updated Affinity?

.Propcol files aren't importable, generally the app will see those files if they are in the right location, this post shows the location of these files based on where Affinity was purchased and downloaded from...

So from your location it would be directly from Affinity?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That is a system folder. For all imports you need to create a location on your drive and save assets there and browse from the inport in the asset panel to that file, same for brushes, styles etc This is part of my affinity folder on my drive to give you some idea

image.png.b69051af23daca38ff783b29284352d5.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

6 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

That is a system folder. For all imports you need to create a location on your drive and save assets there and browse from the inport in the asset panel to that file, same for brushes, styles etc This is part of my affinity folder on my drive to give you some idea

image.png.b69051af23daca38ff783b29284352d5.png

Found the propcol files. But where are the *.AFASSETs?

image.png.884ab23ae44b9fe46a3611e1af55945c.png

Edited by pcdlibrary
Correction

28 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

Found the propcol files. But where are the *.ASSETs?

In the assets.propcol file. If you already installed them into APub like is shown in your screenshot (the checkmarks in the "My Purchases" section) then there is no need to move or duplicate anything to use them. Just make sure the Assets studio panel is available. Typically, you just need to enable it in the View > Studio menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think you are getting .assets files and .propcol files confused.

The .propcol file is a proprietary storage file for the .assets files contents to be stored in, there is no way to open this file manually or outside of the Affinity app and see it's contents. It is the assets panel that accesses this file to show it's contents.

image.png.c5d62e02038561a266170349473181e7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you bought the assets throught the affinity store you can access them through your affinity account and download them image.png.1e6b7df34bdd17cdde39fc638ea413a8.png

If you are trying to install assets from the forum you need to  download them in to a file like I showed in my earlier post and load them in to affinity using the import / export option in the asset panel and browse to the file where you downloded them by clicking on the striped icon in the panel main menu

image.png.98328a271cfcc0f1dcdf6b2ede66ade1.png

If you have anything in your document you want to use as an asset you can select it on the page and highlight it and save it as an asset. You can highlight multiple assets to add from selection. But note this is in the penal section not the main import. You can create a new category from the main panel menu above if you want a new category or create a new sub category

image.png.586a8f553f4d2b34389d8b78f045fcfe.png

Finally Assets take up space in you program and can get quite large so it is benefical to download a copy to you assets folder that you have created using export from the main menu and give it a name you will remember what is there and when you have checked it is downloaded, you can delete them from the main Asset menu, this is good practice to keep a backup of your assets in case the Affinity file (propcol) gets corrupted as you will lose your assets if that file is not backed up

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

16 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think you are getting .assets files and .propcol files confused.

The .propcol file is a proprietary storage file for the .assets files contents to be stored in, there is no way to open this file manually or outside of the Affinity app and see it's contents. It is the assets panel that accesses this file to show it's contents.

image.png.c5d62e02038561a266170349473181e7.png

The assets.propcol file is visible in explorer. The assets panel is looking for .afassets; so it shows the folder as empty.

image.png.b3dabc36632218a90c9426fbe08244a6.png

image.png.bd706a3173a00d2e53cdde4ca2ceb800.png

6 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

The assets panel is looking for .afassets; so it shows the folder as empty.

From your screenshot, your Assets panel is showing one asset category, "Falling Snow by Paper Farms." If you click on the disclosure triangle to the right of the subcategory name, you should see a long list of assets, all of which end in ".png."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

From your screenshot, your Assets panel is showing one asset category, "Falling Snow by Paper Farms." If you click on the disclosure triangle to the right of the subcategory name, you should see a long list of assets, all of which end in ".png."

Eureka! You found the answer. Thank you very much.

6 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

The assets panel is looking for .afassets; so it shows the folder as empty.

The assets panel accesses the .propcol file that contains the contents of the .afassets file arranged in categories and sub categories, the .afassets file is just a file format to transport assets from and to Affinity apps.

I've often wondered why there isn't a central store folder for all the apps to access instead of duplicating the majority of the same folders and files 3 times, maybe the issue is size of files, so its easier and paradoxically more efficient to have 3 smaller files than one large .propcol file.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I've often wondered why there isn't a central store folder for all the apps to access instead of duplicating the majority of the same folders and files 3 times, maybe the issue is size of files, so its easier and paradoxically more efficient to have 3 smaller files than one large .propcol file.

I've always assumed it's mainly an issue of dealing with sandboxing for applications installed from the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Your assumption certainly has merit. Thanks for teaching us a new word: 

Sandbox

Computer Security
In computer security, a sandbox is a security mechanism for separating running programs, usually in an effort to mitigate system failures and/or software vulnerabilities from spreading. It is often used to execute untested or untrusted programs or code, possibly from unverified or untrusted third parties, suppliers, users or websites, without risking harm to the host machine or operating system. A sandbox typically provides a tightly controlled set of resources for guest programs to run in, such as storage and memory scratch space. Network access, the ability to inspect the host system or read from input devices are usually disallowed or heavily restricted.
Data from: Wikipedia

On 4/11/2021 at 2:58 AM, AlanPickup said:

If you bought the assets throught the affinity store you can access them through your affinity account and download them image.png.1e6b7df34bdd17cdde39fc638ea413a8.png

If you are trying to install assets from the forum you need to  download them in to a file like I showed in my earlier post and load them in to affinity using the import / export option in the asset panel and browse to the file where you downloded them by clicking on the striped icon in the panel main menu

If you have anything in your document you want to use as an asset you can select it on the page and highlight it and save it as an asset. You can highlight multiple assets to add from selection. But note this is in the penal section not the main import. You can create a new category from the main panel menu above if you want a new category or create a new sub category

Finally Assets take up space in you program and can get quite large so it is benefical to download a copy to you assets folder that you have created using export from the main menu and give it a name you will remember what is there and when you have checked it is downloaded, you can delete them from the main Asset menu, this is good practice to keep a backup of your assets in case the Affinity file (propcol) gets corrupted as you will lose your assets if that file is not backed up

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

"But note this is in the penal section... " This suggests you may be a lawyer.

11 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

By the way, what is the penal section in Affinity, & where is it located?

4 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

By the way, what is the penal section in Affinity, & where is it located?

52 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

No but I have a few relatives in Australia

But are you a Urologist?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.