You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph decorations extending to bleed area

Hello all,

A design I'm trying to reproduce in Affinity Publisher has filled areas around header text which extend to the edge of the page. I've been doing this using a Decoration in the paragraph text style, which seems to work fairly well but has two drawbacks:

• The left edge of the rectangle is placed relative to the text column, so if I change the margins or move the text box I would have to adjust the size in order to reach the edge of the page.
  • To reach the edge of the bleed area on the left pages, I make the column extend 3mm beyond the page. But for pages on the right, I would only want this to extend to the centre of the spread (i.e. not onto the left page, which will generally be on a different piece of paper). This means the size I need is generally different for left and right sides. I've done this by having separate styles for headings on the left and right sides, but if I ever need to add a page to a section, all the subsequent headings need to have their style changed.

Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 21.01.35.jpg

14 minutes ago, shadowphiar said:

Is there a better way I should be doing this

If you are absolutely married to the idea of the Heading decoration going right up to the edge of the page then I would either use Single Page Spreads or make two Paragraph Styles and laboriously go through the double page layout at the end and change the right hand pages to the right hand paragraph style.

Note that you will actually need a bleed like you have on your page 2 in the screen shot.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.