You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image pixel alignement

5 hours ago, Laganama said:

pixels of the image are not aligned in Y axis

One of the Affinity's worst "features" (as it's apparently "by design" and not a bug) is that depending on your settings in Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places, the values in the Transform panel (and elsewhere) will be rounded up or down to display an integer, even though there may be decimal values hidden.

To work around this "feature", I have set my decimal places preferences in all Affinity apps like this:

aff_prefs_decimal_places.png.32fcf16c19049e262e766eacd7f60539.png

Since all I need are px, pt, degrees and mm, those are set to 6 decimal places, so that no value that is not an integer will go uncaught. (Mostly.)
This setting may cause some minor annoyances elsewhere, but one has to set priorities, right? ;)

So…

I suspect that your image is not precisely aligned to the pixel grid even though the Transport panel claims so.

Also, there is a Pixel preview directly in the Publisher persona:
View > View Mode > Split View

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I'm not sure loukash. I've got multi site document and in such document the top left corner of the page is always x0y0 by default. I also verified this by manualy dragging the zero point to the site corner and then manualy set the position of the image to x0y0.

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

That's all I could replicate.
You'd have to upload a sample document with the image embedded, so that we could have a look at it.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I've (probably) found the cause of this issue.

If you try to reproduce it just only on the first page of your document, everything will look fine. But the more down you move the page, the bigger the probleme is visible.

Maybe the probleme is that the gap between individual pages is not pixel-perfect. By me it is not exactly 170 px, but little more. If the pixel grid is common for entire column of pages, than the result is some kind of interference between the rendering pixel grid and image pixel grid. All my pages are exactly 1080 x 1080 px in size.

When I changed units of the document to mm, the gap looks to have exactly 30 mm. When working in pixels, it remains the same size but than it is not an rounded value. Therefore the wrong rendering outcome.

Pixel-alignement.png

31 minutes ago, Laganama said:

just for the confirmation of my previous thoughts

That smells definitely like a bug to me.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry your report seems to have been missed until now so thanks for bumping this particular thread,

We agree this is not the correct behaviour and it has now been reported to the developers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon