You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.9.2 keeps crashing unexpectedly

Chuva

Hi,

Publisher 1.9.2 (on Mac OS Catalina) keeps crashing unexpectedly as 1.9.1 before, but even worse. Sometimes while opening the document, sometimes while changing textstiles or inserting a
non-breaking space or whatever. Can’t see a specific action that produces the crash. This is quite annoying, as it almost never happened in previous versions, and as far as I see, there is no solution in the forum, although I am not the only one having this problem.

I attach the latest crash report and would be glad for a bug fix as soon as possible. Thank you.

Affinity Publisher Crash Report.rtf

more or less the same here: crash on opening files. 

In different ways: opening by double clicking the file, dragging it to the menubar on the publisher icon, from within publisher when choosing open...

Latest version 1.9.3

Mac os 10.14.6

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but I have the same problem in 2022. Different OS (Win10), and Publisher version 1.9.0.982 (which is supposed to be the latest, as I don't get an update prompt when I start it - yet it's a lower number than the one mentioned above?). It just crashes unexpectedly, but not when any particular operation is done. It just seems random. It's been fine for some time, so maybe something in Win10 has changed (the system was updated a few days ago).
I'd like to send a crash report, but don't know where to find it. I can't see any mention of how to get a crash report anywhere on the forum.
Can someone tell me?

7 minutes ago, Bassthang said:

and Publisher version 1.9.0.982 (which is supposed to be the latest, as I don't get an update prompt when I start it - yet it's a lower number than the one mentioned above?).

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

1.10.5 is the current version. Which Store did you purchase Publisher from?

• If from the Affinity Store, you should be notified when it starts that an update is available.
  • if from the Microsoft Store, it may depend on several factors, including your Store settings and whether you're signed-in to the Store, I think.
9 minutes ago, Bassthang said:

I can't see any mention of how to get a crash report anywhere on the forum.

From the FAQ part of the forums:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the very quick response and the info!
Purchased directly from Affinity in 2020 (Lockdown special offer!). I was notified when an update was available (not long after purchase), and I updated it some time later (possibly late last year - can't remember). No update prompts since then, so I assumed it was still up to date. I never thought to check the version until now though. 

I didn't look in the FAQ, to be honest. I'm working to a deadline, so wanted to get to an answer as soon as possible and didn't think to look for a FAQ section. I did a search of the entire forum, assuming that it would bring up such an item, but nothing. . .

Dump file attached.

5ec5645b-3b90-4965-851b-b73ebee40887.dmp

Hmm. . . interesting. I can't see any settings for updating Publisher within the software. I'm sure it used to be in the Help section of the menu.
On Affinity's web site, it says "

• If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store—each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall."

So it looks like there's no way to manually update the software. Something seriously wrong here!

13 minutes ago, Bassthang said:

I can't see any settings for updating Publisher within the software. I'm sure it used to be in the Help section of the menu.

There has never been an option to check for updates in the Windows versions of the Affinity applications. There is an option on Mac, though.

Are you sure your bank statement shows you purchased from Serif Ltd, and not from Microsoft? If it says you purchased from Serif, then you will find the application, and its Product Key, and the email address, in your Affinity Store account at https://affinity.store/account/downloads

You'll be able to download the current version from there, or from https://affinity.store/update/windows/publisher/1

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt,

Thanks for the links. I'm now downloading v1.10.5. I'll see if that helps, and report back.
I'm starting to wonder now if there was a "don't show this again" type tickbox on the update prompt pop-up, that I may have ticked. Because now I think about it, I remember updating the Photo module, but not the Publisher one.

14 minutes ago, Bassthang said:

I'm starting to wonder now if there was a "don't show this again" type tickbox on the update prompt pop-up, that I may have ticked.

No, there isn't.

Did you find Publisher listed in your account at https://affinity.store/account/downloads ?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. Been busy, juggling lots of things! I've now got the latest version of Publisher from my account page (thanks for the link), but haven't had time to install it yet.
Once I've got the current project done, I'll give it a try.