You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking not working

Today I wanted to work on a new Image, where I use severe mask, but what I try to get working with a mask using the paintbrush its not working.  See the screen movie.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Uncheck the Protect Alpha box.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Just installed Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035. Painting on adjustment layer masks not working for me either. Protect Alpha on or off makes no difference. Not working with either new or old images. Unable to edit previous files now and unable to roll back installation. Help!

Hello @Faraway,

Welcome to the forums.

Painting on a mask with a brush works well here, on my Windows system.
You have already ruled out Protect Alpha as an error.
Question:
Which blend mode does the brush have?  normal or another blend mode (happens to me often)
is the opacity is at 100%
is the correct layers selected, etc.
It would be good if you could upload a screen capture or an affected file here, to better analyze the problem.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

On 4/9/2021 at 1:03 PM, Studio97Visuals said:

Today I wanted to work on a new Image, where I use severe mask, but what I try to get working with a mask using the paintbrush its not working.  See the screen movie

Most often this is caused by having the wrong brush selected by accident.

Please check the brush panel, and select a brush from the basic or masking group.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi Gnobelix

Thanks for your reply.

This is the first time I have posted to a forum so I apologise if I don't get the protocols right.

There should be a screen capture attached to this as requested. This is a file I edited recently using the 1.9.1 version of Affinity Photo. Since updating to 1.9.2 I am no longer able to paint on an adjustment layer mask. As you can see from the History panel, I have tried unlocking the layer (even though it was not locked in the first place) and also inverting it and using white instead of black to paint with. As you can also see, the brush opacity is 100%,  the flow is 100%, Hardness 0% and although it isn't shown on the screen shot, protect alpha is off, but it doesn't make any difference if it is on either. Nothing works at all when I try to paint on the mask. It seems the same problem as Studio97Visuals are experiencing.

I am probably doing something really stupid but I just don't know what it is and it's driving me mad. Any suggestions are very welcome and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Screenshot 2021-04-10 153807.jpg

Oh dear! I have now managed to sort it out, I was doing something stupid after all. You were right Gnobelix, I should have double-checked the brush blend mode. It was on Normal but I have just changed it to Overlay and painting worked. Strangely enough, now when I change it back to Normal again painting still works, although it didn't work until I actually changed it for the first time. Very odd but I don't care now.

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers

You’re welcome.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)