You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I had finished changing the size of the background on an RSVP I was designing. I started to type the text when I saw that the space between words was at least twice what it was the last time I used that particular font. The space between the letters within the words was fine. I don't know how this happened. How can I fix it? I have Windows 10 and Affinity Designer 1.9.1.

What are the alignment/justification settings in the context toolbar?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, SharnLee said:

the space between words was at least twice what it was the last time

Your topic tags refer to ‘kerning’. That’s the space between characters, not the space between words.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, Alfred said:

Your topic tags refer to ‘kerning’. That’s the space between characters, not the space between words.

kerning works between words, just place the cursor between words and adjust the kerning to 300 mille to see the right word move over.

1954511677_Kerningbetweenwords.png.1b0c5409074e23c9ee6e0d0340b3f1a0.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

kerning works between words, just place the cursor between words and adjust the kerning to 300% to see the right word move over.

I wasn’t suggesting that kerning only works between printable characters, I was trying to point out that it’s inappropriate terminology for the OP’s stated problem.

<pedantry>
Your example shows a kerning value of 300‰ (per mille), not 300% (per cent).
</pedantry>

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

kerning works between words, just place the cursor between words and adjust the kerning to 300% to see the right word move over.

Is that really what's happening ... or is doing that just adjusting the kerning between a pair of characters, here a letter & a space?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

I wasn’t suggesting that kerning only works between printable characters, I was trying to point out that it’s inappropriate terminology for the OP’s stated problem.

<pedantry>
Your example shows a kerning value of 300‰ (per mille), not 300% (per cent).
</pedantry>

Damn those double mini noughts <makes haste to correct his mistake and hope nobody notices...>  👀

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Is that really what's happening ... or is doing that just adjusting the kerning between a pair of characters, here a letter & a space?

It's kerning something and unless the OP has a spaces fetish it would seem the logical answer to the dilemma. The mystery will likely be solved when the OP replies, waits with bated breath... 

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

It's kerning something ...

AFAIK, kerning is something that always involves a pair of characters, thus the phrase "kerning pair." Am I wrong about that?

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, kerning is something that always involves a pair of characters, thus the phrase "kerning pair." Am I wrong about that?

I think it has to be called kerning because that's the only one that fits the behaviour, if you assume a space is a "character space" then expanding or contracting between the last letter of a word and the space is kerning and in the absence of anything else that fits the bill and kerning it must be. "I just know a typographer is going to drop on this like a ton of bricks lol!"

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

... if you assume a space is a "character space" ...

AFAIK, spaces are always considered to be characters, for example ASCII 32,  or Unicode U+0020.

Affinity Photo 

"Kerning" is the distance between two individual characters (in germany we call it "Unterschneidung"). It is the first item on the "Character" panel in Publisher, under "Positioning and Transform". The second one is "Tracking" - the distance between all characters of a text box ("Zeichenabstand" in german). The term for the distance between words, I think, is "Spacing" ("Wortabstand"). But in this case I am not sure. But a well-intended hint about "Spacing": don't use it! Because it is banned by the "Me too"-movement, as I heard. 😉