You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashing 700 mb+/ corrupting files

As the title states Affinity photo crashes whenever the file size exceeds 700mb. It also corrupts. This has been happening for a while now(2 years~). Ive tried every configuration possible and still have the same problem. Does not matter if im working in 8,16,32 bit. Ive allocated enough ram to the application. 32 gb. I run a 2080 rtx with an i9.

James Ritson asked me to upload a file during the most recent Stream. So i hope this helps and i hope it is just isolated to me. 

It still happens even with a full clean install. Tried it on my laptop running a 2070 rtx as well.

My temporary solution is to save a backup in case it corrupts. When it is not corrupting it is constantly crashing. Forcing me to save almost every single minute as i dont know when it will crash. 

Did not happen when i worked with affinity photo on the macbook pro. Have not used the mac os for photo editing in quite some time though so i wouldnt know if this would happen today on the mac.

Rock_N'_Roll_1_Backup.afphoto

I have tested your file and i have done lots of stupid things with it and re-saved and re-opened it multiple times and it didnt crashed, now its 1.6GB large.

Maybe its that hardware acceleration issue? try to disable it in Edit->Preferences->Performance

(dont have hardware acceleration because im on ancient win7 still, so i cant test it)

Originally i though it was that filesize 300MB+ issue from 2018 just a 700MB mark now but it worked fine.

have to add that im still on 1.9.0 build.

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

• Staff

Hey SpaceBound,

I have also been using your file on an old AMD desktop (R9 390) and a newer desktop with a 3080 (there are some specific AMD and Nvidia issues atm) and I've had no crash.

Can you check to see if there's a crash report and log file please?

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Where is the file stored? Locally, external, cloud etc.

Datei Download, Die Datei wird in 1.9.2. geöffnet und ist bearbeitbar.

Ich habe bemerkt, dass große gespeicherte Dateien vom Februar 2021 nicht auf dem Hauptrechner geöffnet werden.
Auf dem Tablett mit Win Home sind sie zu öffnen. Ich habe dann einen Teil der Ebenen in einer Neuen Datei gespeichert. Ohne die Ebenen auch die Alte Datei gespeichert. Beide Dateien sind auf dem Desktoprechner zu öffnen und zusammen zuführen. Diese neue Datei wird auch wieder bearbeitbar geöffnet.

Google Übersetzung

File download, the file will be in 1.9.2. open and editable.

I noticed that large saved files from February 2021 are not opening on the main computer.
They can be opened on the tablet with Win Home. I then saved some of the layers in a new file. Without the layers also the old file is saved. Both files can be opened on the desktop computer and brought together. This new file will also be opened again in an editable manner.

Mein System
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G mit Radeon Vega Graphics 3,60 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB (6,95 GB fähbar)
64-Bit-fähiger, x64-basierter Prozessor
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
Alle Updates sind gehört!

Nachtrag:

Tablett: 

Prozessor Intel (R) Atom (TM) x5-Z8350-CPU bei 1,44 GHz 1,44 GHz
Installierter RAM 4,00 GB
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Prozesse, x64-basierter Prozessor

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2

22 hours ago, Danielcz said:

I have tested your file and i have done lots of stupid things with it and re-saved and re-opened it multiple times and it didnt crashed, now its 1.6GB large.

Maybe its that hardware acceleration issue? try to disable it in Edit->Preferences->Performance

(dont have hardware acceleration because im on ancient win7 still, so i cant test it)

Originally i though it was that filesize 300MB+ issue from 2018 just a 700MB mark now but it worked fine.

have to add that im still on 1.9.0 build.

I have tried it with and without. 

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey SpaceBound,

I have also been using your file on an old AMD desktop (R9 390) and a newer desktop with a 3080 (there are some specific AMD and Nvidia issues atm) and I've had no crash.

Can you check to see if there's a crash report and log file please?

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Where is the file stored? Locally, external, cloud etc.

Internal. Run my apps from an internal m.2 500 gb(400gb free space) and work on an internal hard drive 1 tb (800 gb free)

Edit: Affinity has no crash reports no saved crash reports. 

Edited by SpaceBound
Added information

10 hours ago, Friedhelm Benner said:

File download, the file will be in 1.9.2. open and editable.

I noticed that large saved files from February 2021 are not opening on the main computer.
They can be opened on the tablet with Win Home. I then saved some of the layers in a new file. Without the layers also the old file is saved. Both files can be opened on the desktop computer and brought together. This new file will also be opened again in an editable manner.

February, its 1.9.0 or 1.9.1 ? i still have 1.9.0 (February 4th) installed so i can try to make some large files and upgrade to 1.9.2 and try it if it will crash? (i dont have 1.9.1 (February 25th))

37 minutes ago, SpaceBound said:

Internal. Run my apps from an internal m.2 500 gb(400gb free space) and work on an internal hard drive 1 tb (800 gb free)

Edit: Affinity has no crash reports no saved crash reports. 

Maybe something will be in eventviewer? winkey+R -> eventvwr.msc -> windows logs

Hope its not memory stability issue

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

Nachdem Gestern noch ein kleines Windowsupdate gekommen ist, macht Affinity 1.9.2 jetzt auch problematische Dateien offensichtlich problemlos auf!

Ach so: Ich Update auch Affinity sofort nach dem Anzeigen "neues Update"  Ich arbeite normalerweise immer mit der Aktuellen Version von Affinity Photo!
Deshalb verstehe ich nicht warum immer wieder von vergangenen Versionen geschrieben wird.

Deepl Übersetzer

After a small Windows update yesterday, Affinity 1.9.2 now also opens problematic files without any problems!

I also update Affinity as soon as I see the "new update" message. I normally always work with the current version of Affinity Photo!
That's why I don't understand why people keep writing about past versions.

Mein System
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G mit Radeon Vega Graphics 3,60 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB (6,95 GB fähbar)
64-Bit-fähiger, x64-basierter Prozessor
Win 10 Prof Version 20H2
Alle Updates sind gehört!

Tablett: 

Prozessor Intel (R) Atom (TM) x5-Z8350-CPU bei 1,44 GHz 1,44 GHz
Installierter RAM 4,00 GB
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Prozesse, x64-basierter Prozessor

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2

1 hour ago, Friedhelm Benner said:

That's why I don't understand why people keep writing about past versions.

"I noticed that large saved files from February 2021 are not opening on the main computer."

"That's why I don't understand why people keep writing about past versions."

maybe possible issue with original text meaning after translation. :(

the way i understood translation was, that some possible file save corruption was happening in AP versions released in February 2021 time frame. (1.9.0-1.9.1) resulting in 1.9.2 file crashing.

8 hours ago, Friedhelm Benner said:

...That's why I don't understand why people keep writing about past versions.

Even if it is difficult, there are regions on earth that do not have high-speed Internet access, but in many cases still have to establish a connection with 56k modems. Updates are then only made in extreme emergencies. And then there are those who refuse to update. They scream the loudest and rant about the software and even worse, about the developers.

In diesem Sinne, schönes Wocheende.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

49 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Auch wenn es schwierig ist, gibt es Regionen auf der Erde, die keinen Hochgeschwindigkeits-Internetzugang haben, aber in vielen Fällen immer noch eine Verbindung mit 56k-Modems herstellen müssen.

Selbst auf dem hohen Westerwald bin ich mit 100 MBit/s Download bis zu 6 MBit/s Upload unterwegs.

Even on the high Westerwald, I am on the move with 100 MBit/s download up to 6 MBit/s upload.

Gruß Friedhelm

3 hours ago, Friedhelm Benner said:

Selbst auf dem hohen Westerwald bin ich mit 100 MBit/s Download bis zu 6 MBit/s Upload unterwegs.

Even on the high Westerwald, I am on the move with 100 MBit/s download up to 6 MBit/s upload.

Gruß Friedhelm

Ja, hier sind aber auch Menschen aus Lateinamerika, die in ihren Ländern nicht so schnelle Verbindungen haben. Und selbst hier in Deutschland gibt es Regionen wo es kein DSL gibt. Kannst deinen Provider ja mal bitten, die Downloadrate auf 56k zu drosseln. 😛 Da ist fast ein halber Tag rum, wenn man 500 MB runterladen muss.

Yes, but there are also people from Latin America here who don't have such fast connections in their countries. And even here in Germany there are regions where there is no DSL. You can ask your provider to throttle the download rate to 56k. 😛  That's almost half a day if you have to download 500 MB.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

And now back to topic!