You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add my vote of support to the large number of Beta testers that have called for a Dimension Tool. In my humble opinion as a user that believed the move from Draw to Affinity should represent a forward progression in graphical capabilities rather than a step backwards. Do please introduce what in my view is an essential capability for what is otherwise a wonderful design/drawing package.

• 1 month later...

I do find it disappointing that Serif Draw that has had this capability for years should be a missing a dimensions feature in what purports to be Draw's replacement, packed with more up to date tools and features. Worse still is the continued silence from the Serif and the production team!?

I for one had been looking forward to being able to remove Draw from the an increasing clutter on my PC, but sadly this appears for now not to be possible. :40_rage:

10 minutes ago, DaveE said:

what purports to be Draw's replacement

Affinity Designer is not a replacement for DrawPlus. It's an entirely separate app which just happens to come from the same company.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your correction to my misinterpretation of how these application relate. I stand corrected.
That said, it remains my opinion that Affinity Designer should have the capability to include dimensions on drawings, as voiced other readers. Obviously, each users may agree or disagree, as is their right to do so. And I continue to be disappointed that the development team has not responded.

Kind regards,

Dave

9 minutes ago, DaveE said:

And I continue to be disappointed that the development team has not responded

Traditionally, and usually, the Serif staff do not comment in the feature request topics. They read them, and take note of what the users are asking for, but that's all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

41/2 years and still a deafening silence on a/any dimension tool.

Whilst I appreciate that Designer is not meant to be a replacement for DrawPlus I do think that the fact that Drawplus had a dimension tool and Designer does not, indicates - very clearly - that the (otherwise brilliant) Serif developers do not fully understand the meaning of the word Designer.

The English dictionary definition of Designer  - "One who makes artist designs, patterns , or plans of construction" the latter cannot be done without a dimension tool.

Without a dimension tool "Designer" is a misnomer and misleading.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been searching for updated information on a “true” dimensioning tool in Affinity Designer. I would like to abandon the adobe products and leave behind the thought of using coreldraw or similar, but if the developers/leaders of affinity designer don’t seem to have clearly stated whether this tool will ever be included in their product, I am afraid I will have to sideline affinity designer and rather use other products to get my work done.

It is a shame as designer seemed to have much promise, but alas I have to assume that it is more a “drawing” application than a “designing”  one.

Hi David,

Thanks for keeping this topic alive and well. By doing so it is hopefully sending a clear message from the User community to the Development Team that this is a facility that would indeed lift Affinity Designer above the drawing package mix up into a feature rich design platform.

+ 1 for this feature. When, measure angles, distances and so on is such a basic yet missing tool !! I have used Inkscape in the past and the tools for measuring are quite Okay. Unfortunately for this kind of work I still have to resort to Inkscape which I would completely love to avoid !

Looking forward to basic and not so basic measuring tools for the future ! !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...