You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was wondering if a dimension tool is in the works for Designer. Something that designers/architects can use to label and indicate dimensions on drawings. For example, features such as CADTools ( a plug-in for illustrator), or the dimension tools in iDraw. I think such a tool will be a fantastic addition because I'm an architect and I think all designers of physical objects will probably appreciate it. But overall, I was wondering if such a tool was part of the planned future features roadmap.

Best,

Jawad Altabtabai

• 2 months later...

First of all congrats for your work that's in one word beautiful!!!!

And that's it!!!

A dimension tool would take this program to an all new dimension for a lot of guys! just the basic (for now), imagine we are designers we design a new "product" and after that we'll have to draw it again on another program to make 1/10 scale and put dimensions for the prototype guys understand and make the real deal. You can be the ones if we have just a few tools here, 2D drawing only. (for now).

Keep on the real nice work and thanks for all you already have done.

Best,

João Rocha

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Glad to find a thread about this matter, since I found it most bizarre that a vector software that promotes itself so vividly lacks such a basic tool. Not to mention any particular competitors, even the free ones, but even the simple vector apps have this tool. It's really surprising that there is no measurement no dimension tool. Very often I would just like to know what the distance is between some parts of the artwork.

I hope that the developers actually read this discussion and that this super important tool will arrive shortly.

Back in the days of Freehand v1 we had to work out measurements by drawing rectangles around the parts of a design we needed to measure, noting the rectangle's width or height, deleting the rectangle and then doing whatever using the dimension. T'was clumsy and time consuming, but then we got Illustrator 88 with – happy happy, joy joy – the measure tool. It seems kind of weird having to go back a quarter of a century in AD.

(The other Great Leap Forward for accurate work in Illy 88 was the average point command, but that's a whole nother issue).

• 2 weeks later...

A dimension tool at any level would be most welcome including even a basic measuring tool. It's possible to get an idea by moving the object with all drawing guides on, very useful ... still a clunky workaround for a dimension check in a drawing. The tranform/move panel is prehistoric at the moment (move and copy 20 odd mm can be done, but I'd rather not have to note X and Y values everytime) but I'm sure the Affinity folks are listening to us engineers, architects, product designers et al.

ps, what about option click to get a dimension dialogue for a shape ! would be appreciated with much praise too.  ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for dimension tool. As a landscape architect, I would also really need to know the surface area of an object (or combined objects). It's the only feature stopping me from using Designer for my work. Hereunder an example from Ai plug-in called Telegraphics.

telegraphics-patharea-result.png

I own a copy of iDraw (now called Graphic) from Autodesk for the sole purpose of using its dimension tags on its paths (it's not actually a tool, but rather a stroke style that automatically adds a label showing the length dimension and arrow heads at either end. It even has a document scale so you can draw something 10mm wide, and the label can automatically display 10m if you've applied a 1:1000 scale.

It's an absolute joy to use (it's just a pity that the rest of the application is so horrid) so pleeeeeeeaaaaaase add a dimension tool. Your awesome scaling, snapping and massive zooming has already set the groundwork for it. It seems like a natural progression.

• 1 month later...

After searching AffinityD, the program & help, for this often needed tool I then found to my surprise/shock that I have to go back to DrawPlus (which I still have not yet uninstalled thankfully) to do what should be considered an often basic/standard design operation.

Under the heading BUGS it says "Oops. Did we get it wrong?" - with this omission I think you did.

I find it very concerning that despite the support and interest shown in this thread for the need for some measurement tool(s) ( and the need for arrow head line ends) - plus it going back to October - that no member of Serif has shown any interest, nor posted any answer or comment.

Edit: I have just looked at the Designer 'Road Map' and whilst arrow head line ends are included there is no mention of any means of measuring. Also there is no mention of any means of locating the ruler origins, something else much needed.

• 5 months later...

I must first establish that I LOVE AFFINITY DESIGNER AND PHOTO !!!!

BUT ...... CANVAS-X by ACD Systems was the best program I had ever used as a graphic artist and a construction tradesman. 

1) I could design LAYOUTS in 2-D, Then set my own Scale, In ANY Unit of Measure,

2)  and then by merely drawing or selecting a vector object, it would give me the AREA in Square Feet

(or whatever the unit was that I designated) in a Dialog Box within the Menu Bar.

3)  I could import a Blue Print and SET MY SCALE using any known DISTANCE.  I would outline the floor plan with the vector drawing pen to determine the AREA and PERIMETER of the space.

4) It had built-in Dimensioning tools.

5) and it was a photo editor, publishing program and scientific design software as well.

If AFFINITY DESIGNER would incorporate this into it's UI, It would be powerful and complete!!  I keep my old Mac G5 Computer Tower set up in my garage for the sole purpose of doing "TAKE-OFFS" of blue prints and to transpose my layouts that I create in Affinity, just so it can calculate the AREAS in Square Feet, and to get the PERIMETER Distance.  Because Canvas-X will calculate any complex shape, its indispensable and I will never dump this computer until Affinity or Adobe get their act together.

post-36762-0-65574900-1496708910_thumb.png

post-36762-0-21691600-1496708920_thumb.png

post-36762-0-48087100-1496708935_thumb.png

post-36762-0-63287900-1496708945_thumb.png

post-36762-0-37009100-1496708957_thumb.png

post-36762-0-54263700-1496708967_thumb.png

post-36762-0-69657900-1496708977_thumb.png

post-36762-0-21029700-1496708988_thumb.png

post-36762-0-03720900-1496708997_thumb.png

post-36762-0-63876100-1496709005_thumb.png

post-36762-0-95670200-1496709013_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

And please PLEASE include fractional inches, not just decimal, as in 3/4".  This so you can take a drawing into the shop. There are no measuring tapes with decimals on them ; )   And many designers (furniture for instance) work only in inches, not feet and inches. That’s construction an architecture. 79”, not 6’ 7”.

Dear Affinity. I agree with all the posts so far - a great product but a gaping hole where the Dimension tool should be!!

Please Please Please can we have a dimension tool. You already display dimensions when hovering the mouse over and between shapes, so we know at least some of the functionality is already in the code! (although I appreciate, as a software dev it's not quite that simple!)

This is the one missing feature that really kills Designer for me. I mean come on, even the name 'Designer' implies 'Designing' things and designing things usually requires dimensions!!

• 1 month later...

I am migrating from CorelDraw as a number of other AD users appear to be and the lack of a dimension tool and scaling is a serious sticking point. I'm prepared to hang on in there as this is obviously an application that is undergoing rapid development but I really hope these features could be pushed up the priority ladder along with movable ruler origin promised for v1.7