You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Bro

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

Our 1.9.2 update requires that Windows 7 has all the latest updates installed. Please check that you have installed all Microsoft updates available for your machine. If that does not work the previous version 1.9.1 is available to download from these links (Designer, Photo, & Publisher

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I am currently updated to Net 4.8 and have all the other upgrades. Because the programs wouldn't run I couldn't assess the download page and I had to reload a full drive backup to recover the programs. The only download available on my account login was the latest until I was able to run my backup.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Bro said:

The only download available on my account login was the latest

That is true, the Affinity Store login only shows the latest downloads (to avoid confusion). However these links I am providing work for any user looking for earlier versions (Designer, Photo, & Publisher)

Are you saying that you already had all the latest Windows 7 operating system updates before you tried 1.9.2 and even then they did not work? What version are you running now?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Thanks, but I meant this ...

1. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 is not "completely up to date" in Windows > Check for updates
(Why are you not running SP2 ?)

2. What version of the Affinity applications are you currently running?

1.9.2 requires all updates to Windows 7 to be installed, where I understand Affinity applications ver 1.9.1 would work with a vanilla Windows 7 SP1.

Serif do not know what specifically caused this change (there were no deliberate code changes between 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 that would result in this requirement). I personally believe it may be something that Microsoft have changed in order to make people installing new EXEs require later security and OS updates, but have no proof of that theory. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

(Why are you not running SP2 ?)

From a discussion in another thread, Windows 7 SP2 is just a ‘convenience rollup’ containing updates that were released after the release of SP1. As I understand it, you still need to have things like the Platform Update already installed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It's ok I just won't update the programs again. You must have switched the compile options in the latest update.  I can't stand Windows 10, so I'll keep what I have.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Bro said:

I can't stand Windows 10, so I'll keep what I have.

nobody is asking you to use Windows 10, just update to the most recent Windows 7

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

According to Visual Studio Debugger this is the problem.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileLoadException' occurred in Unknown Module.
A procedure imported by 'Serif.Interop.Persona.dll' could not be loaded.

• 3 months later...

this is a bit old, but the new update that said it got 10x faster made me look into updating windows 7 again. the way I updated before was by bypassing normal windows update essentially installing everything that was new as of I think late april 2017, and because of the way I did this, it broke windows update itself. 

any idea what needs to be installed to get the program to work specifically? i'm going to be forced over to windows 10 in the coming months, something I am not looking forward to, but this would be nice in the meantime. 

27 minutes ago, alidan said:

something I am not looking forward to

First I have no clue on what you need for Win7, that's the one version I never got to run. I stupidly went the Vista route. Anyway, I think there's a lot of us that have succumbed to the upgrade pressure. I wish we could still be running Win 3.1  😄

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

14 hours ago, Wosven said:

I had nothing new to install for the last Betas and last releases to work out of the box.

I hope you'll find the problem.

it's something they changed between version 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 requires some updates to be installed, I have no idea what they are and cant update though windows and have no idea if I can update through the same method I used before so it would be nice to know what specifically it was, I just updated designer to 1.10 and its not working. 

23 hours ago, Ron P. said:

First I have no clue on what you need for Win7, that's the one version I never got to run. I stupidly went the Vista route. Anyway, I think there's a lot of us that have succumbed to the upgrade pressure. I wish we could still be running Win 3.1  😄

I can specify a few reasons, but that's a very long topic on how 10 screwed up my test pc multiple times before I gave up on it, the long and short is microsoft's forced updates of which they do not test in house after firing the entire qa team in favor of automated tests, this saw an update push that deleted everything that was symbolically linked, this caused a 300gb loss of files on my test computer, thankfully they were backed up as I was not trusting anything, fighting with windows over drivers that were installed, settings reverting, having the computer shut itself off mid render, boot loop blue screens... my biggest reason for me personally was how much I despised every ui change they made, and how every updates kills another way to change settings outside of powershell. these are the main reasons I refused to move to it, the few benefits I would gain from moving to it were not worth the hassle and need to run a a 800$ hot backup.