You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Italics Option for Impact Font

I have switched over to Affinity Photo from Photoshop for making YouTube Thumbnails. I have a specific style for my fonts and I have managed to recreate most of it, but there is no italics option for the Impact font. I really need the fonts to look the same as they always have looked, so can you suggest any easy workarounds for this?

Welcome to the forum @janlaidlaw

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The font Impact from URW doesn't have any native italic style. However, there are versions with more variants available. Though, they are not for free (only for personal use—using them on YouTube might not be covered by the license, this needs to be checked first).

As an alternative, shearing the text might work. As that's what some apps do in order to "fake" italics to a font which doesn't have any. I'd try that only if I couldn't find any better solution, tho. As a true italic font style usually has a ton more edits rather than just shearing the normal font style.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

3 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

The font Impact from URW doesn't have any native italic style. However, there are versions with more variants available. Though, they are not for free (only for personal use—using them on YouTube might not be covered by the license, this needs to be checked first).

As an alternative, shearing the text might work. As that's what some apps do in order to "fake" italics to a font which doesn't have any. I'd try that only if I couldn't find any better solution, tho. As a true italic font style usually has a ton more edits rather than just shearing the normal font style.

Thank you. I checked the link but I don't see any prices, just a "download now" button. I definitely don't want any licensing problems. But I do need an italic version if it isn't too costly.

There's a link within the wall of text, leading to licensing. But interestingly, it's leading to myfonts (subbrand/service of Monotype), licensing the original Monotype font, but (!) without offering any of the italic versions over there. Which might mean, there is no true italic style for it and the font they offer for download is just a (crappy) sheared version of the original font. Although they mock-up italic styles at myfonts for the URW version. Really weird.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

There is an Impact Wide Italic version https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/geoffreylee/impact-wide/ but it is only slightly Italic and is about a 3rd again as wide as the regular impact. 

You could try finding a font that is as near as damn it to Impact but with Italic variants, else start learning to make your own fonts.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

There is an Impact Wide Italic version https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/geoffreylee/impact-wide/ but it is only slightly Italic [...]

Yet, it's a true italic version, not just sheared. Check i. e. the "a", a completely different letter. That's what I meant when I said, there's a ton more edits to a font making an italic style rather than just shearing it.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

2 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

There's a link within the wall of text, leading to licensing. But interestingly, it's leading to myfonts (subbrand/service of Monotype), licensing the original Monotype font, but (!) without offering any of the italic versions over there. Which might mean, there is no true italic style for it and the font they offer for download is just a (crappy) sheared version of the original font. Although they mock-up italic styles at myfonts for the URW version. Really weird.

The photoshop italic looks fine. Impact is a font I've used for years and it came with my version of Photoshop, I don't know how Photoshop creates italics but it served my purposes. I'll keep using Photoshop until I figure something out.

22 minutes ago, janlaidlaw said:

Is there any equivalent in Affinity Photo?

No, there is no equivalent except for the Shear function in the Character panel. You can mimick the Faux effect from PS with a Shear of 10°. Attached an image where I did this. Top from PS and below the sheared text. Of course you can make text style with this shear value for later re-use.

impact-italic.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

No, there is no equivalent except for the Shear function in the Character panel. You can mimick the Faux effect from PS with a Shear of 10°. Attached an image where I did this. Top from PS and below the sheared text. Of course you can make text style with this shear value for later re-use.

impact-italic.jpg

Okay, thank you, I will try this.