You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Comments, annotation, notes, review.

As previously asked here:

It would be great to have something similar to Words Review Tab, where comments can be added for review.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Also, the ability to attach note to things other than text.

The current workaround is to pin a text frame to text, but would like ability to attach a note to other objects, like an image that needs to be corrected.

Also, pinned text boxes disappear if they sub to a text box that is subbed (a child of) some larger object when it's moved off to the side.

50 minutes ago, skmwrp said:

Also, the ability to attach note to things other than text.

The current workaround is to pin a text frame to text, but would like ability to attach a note to other objects, like an image that needs to be corrected.

Right-click on the image, then:

image.png.6424ff8d6917c077c7d952ca87e051bc.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Funny, I haven't heard or thought of the term "preflight" meaning preparing to send off to print since I was in biotech and using QuirkExpensive on Mac System 9.

Most recently, it meant getting the helo ready for take off and testing, and all of the protein names became acronyms for weapons and tactical systems.

Thanks for the memories, Walt.

Preflight comments work nicely!
You can create a preflight profile that ignores everything but the user comments. Then you have a nice and clean list of all comments. Double click to select and put in view. Don't "fix", it will delete the comment!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Okay, just ran into a hitch with preflight comments.

Have a Publisher document made up of hundreds of linked Designer documents, the Designer documents made up of four panels each. Want to add a comment to one of the panels in one of the linked documents to fix something.

Can't select the individual panel in Publisher, only the entire linked document, so preflight comments can't point to the exact panel or object that needs work.

Can open the linked document to edit and select the specific panel or text box or image and attach a preflight comment, but the comment with show up in the Preflight Panel only for that opened-for-editing document. If the tab is closed, editing done, though it has an attached preflight comment, it won't show up in the main document's preflight list.

On top of that, the individual linked Designer document has showstopper preflight errors, which show red & would stop printing, but in the main Publisher document to which it's linked, it shows no indication of there being a problem in the Preflight Panel.

That's a bummer.

21 minutes ago, skmwrp said:

the individual linked Designer document has showstopper preflight errors, which show red & would stop printing, but in the main Publisher document to which it's linked, it shows no indication of there being a problem in the Preflight Panel.

Isn't there a checkbox in the preflight profile that can turn this option on and off?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

Isn't there a checkbox in the preflight profile that can turn this option on and off?

Don't understand the question. Do you mean to get around the embedded preflight error? I'm not even sure if it would stop the main document from printing.

If you mean an option to show preflight flags of linked documents, not that I've found.

I'm just wondering why the main Publisher document doesn't flag the errors and user comments of all the embedded. Seems kind of useless the way it's implemented now if it just lets all those problems through. It would mean having to open each and every linked document to check their preflight status.

12 minutes ago, skmwrp said:

an option to show preflight flags of linked documents, not that I've found.

apu_preflight_linked.png.c673ea7287def048b5c122b24dd9574d.png

I have that checked, but no change.

Okay, that seems to just check that links are valid. Doesn't check if there's preflight issues within the linked document.

Notice Overflowing Text and User Comments both don't have the Look inside placed documents checkbox.

1 hour ago, skmwrp said:

Notice Overflowing Text and User Comments both don't have the Look inside placed documents checkbox.

Probably worth a separate feature request then.

My current workaround, which seems to be working, thus I call it a workaround…

Anyway, I created a sticky note asset in Publisher (which you can then copy in Designer if you want, where they don't have ability to color text frame backgrounds, but I'm getting sidetracked) and while all of our work is done in Designer (inking, panels, blah), we place sticky note comments on the tiers in the main Publisher document which collects them all together, which can then be searched (because Publisher won't search linked documents, which is a separate issue). Each sticky note is titled with TODO (from programming days) and now is searchable in the main document.

Wish Publisher would see the preflight user comments in linked documents, but for now, this works.

If anyone has a suggestion of a way to make these comments easily non-printable, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for not shouting at me! (Yes, mysterious movie ref.)

• 2 years later...