You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

change forum display name

I want to change my forum display name and get the following message:

You are not allowed to change your display name right now as only members who have submitted 1 content item, etc. can change their username - you need to make 1 more.

So maybe this message is the solution for my problem.

Harry

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It's a combination of needing several posts, and several days on site, as I recall. If that message is saying you need only 1 post it might be wrong. (Or maybe the rules have changed again.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It's a combination of needing several posts, and several days on site, as I recall. If that message is saying you need only 1 post it might be wrong. (Or maybe the rules have changed again.)

Unless the rules have changed, you normally need to have been a member for at least four days and you need to have made at least five posts. A new member can change their forum avatar after three posts (but again, only after four days’ membership).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Unless the rules have changed, you normally need to have been a member for at least four days and you need to have made at least five posts. A new member can change their forum avatar after three posts (but again, only after four days’ membership).

Nope, New members can change their display name 3 times in 30 days, but only AFTER their first post is approved (so only after they become "New members")

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Nope, New members can change their display name 3 times in 30 days, but only AFTER their first post is approved (so only after they become "New members")

Thanks for the correction, Patrick. I was going by what you had posted here:

(I see I swapped the day and post counts around.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Yeah, turns out that is rubbish, username does not follow the same rules as avatar and user profile. That info is true of setting an avatar but not "display name". It was only because this user HarryD had changed theirs after just one post that I checked the admin control panel for the "New Member" group and found the setting. The avatar is accessed when you can "edit your profile" which is where a lot of spammers put links to their websites etc, so profile editing (including the avatar) is reserved for "Members", but new members can edit their display name as soon as the first post is approved.

I tend not to approve first posts from those with email addresses as usernames, but instead manually modify the username first so I would change pconnor1234@email.co.uk to "P Connor" and then approve the first post. Other moderators do not have the administrator rights to change usernames before approving, so they will simply flag the users first post for an administrator to change it (if the user has not subsequently done so) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon