You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I see this problem on a regular but intermittent basis. When I have two (or more) documents open in Publisher or Designer and I switch between documents, the screen does not redraw correctly and leaves large areas in black. To 'fix' this, I have to scroll up or down within the document to force a screen redraw or close and reopen it. I cannot take a screen recording as I cannot deliberately replicate this as it happens randomly so I have taken a screenshot from Designer.

I am using a late 2013 27" iMac with 16Gb of RAM and a 2TB SSD installed. It also happens on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD. As this does not happen in any applications other than Publisher and Designer, it leads me to believe it is an Affinity problem especially as it happens on two separate Macs. Both applications are 1.9.2 but this has also been happening in previous versions.

I have also a screenshot of the Performance tab in Designer Preferences so you can see how it is set up. Publisher's preference pane is set the same.

Redraw problem.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 11.15.05.jpg

He never fails to achieve new heights in being stupid...

• Staff

Hi bbwd,

I've not seen this myself and I'm using a Late 2013 iMac with 8gb Ram. However I do have the ability to use Metal Acceleration, which doesn't seem to be the case on yours. Though even with this unticked I'm still not getting this behaviour.

Is the Preferences Panel exactly the same on your newer MBP? Or do you have Metal Compute Acceleration enabled?

Do you have any other pieces of software running (including software that is normally running in the top near the clock) that might affect the display or rendering of your machine at all?

26 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi bbwd,

I've not seen this myself and I'm using a Late 2013 iMac with 8gb Ram. However I do have the ability to use Metal Acceleration, which doesn't seem to be the case on yours. Though even with this unticked I'm still not getting this behaviour.

Is the Preferences Panel exactly the same on your newer MBP? Or do you have Metal Compute Acceleration enabled?

Do you have any other pieces of software running (including software that is normally running in the top near the clock) that might affect the display or rendering of your machine at all?

Thanks for the reply Sean.

I've checked the MBP, settings are the same except under 'Hardware acceleration' - Enable Metal compute acceleration is checked. MBP has an Intel Iris Pro 1536MB graphics card and the iMac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB graphics card so I assume this must be the reason why there is a difference.

Under the 'Display' drop down menu I could choose 'Metal' on both machines if I wished. It is set how the application set on install.

As for Menu Bar apps, I have a few, Dropbox, Mega, Box, PopChar, Rocket, Carbon Copy Cloner, 1Password, BackBlaze, iMazing Mini, Pastebot, ItsyCal plus a few system ones. Nothing I could think would cause display issues.

• Staff
16 minutes ago, bbwd said:

Thanks for the reply Sean.

I've checked the MBP, settings are the same except under 'Hardware acceleration' - Enable Metal compute acceleration is checked. MBP has an Intel Iris Pro 1536MB graphics card and the iMac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB graphics card so I assume this must be the reason why there is a difference.

Under the 'Display' drop down menu I could choose 'Metal' on both machines if I wished. It is set how the application set on install.

As for Menu Bar apps, I have a few, Dropbox, Mega, Box, PopChar, Rocket, Carbon Copy Cloner, 1Password, BackBlaze, iMazing Mini, Pastebot, ItsyCal plus a few system ones. Nothing I could think would cause display issues.

Thanks for that, I would agree there isn't anything that looks like it could intefere and you're indeed correct with Metal being enabled on the machine with the Iris Pro (that is the same as my iMac). What version of macOS are you using. Would you be able to switch the dropdown to Metal and see if that improves your situation at all?

I presume this is any documents new or old? Or is it with specific documents?

Sorry for late reply. 

I’m running Catalina 10.15 on both Macs but this issue was happening previously on Mojave - I only moved to Catalina a couple of months ago. It’s been happening on new or old documents and it’s random. It’s not happened since the screenshot I posted but I know it’ll happen again. 

I will change the drop down to ‘Metal’ and try it. Won’t know until Monday though as I’m not going to work this weekend.