You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector symmetry tutorial using Linked Layers

Wanted to make a quick tutorial on how to make completely symmetrical, non-destructive vector art with the help of Affinity Photo's brand new Linked Layers feature. Most of this is possible within Affinity Designer, but you absolutely must use Affinity Photo to make this work.

To the people who are confused by some of the steps like making a Compound Layer or duplicating a layer as linked, I will explain them briefly. Hold down alt and then click on the Add Boolean button (in Photo go to  View -> Customize Toolbar... to make this feature visible in the upper toolbar), which will create a non-destructive Compound Layer that ensures that all the shapes are unified. This works with the other boolean operators as well, so experiment! If you want to quickly duplicate a layer as linked you then need to add it manually in Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts (I added it as ctrl+shift+J so it matches regular ctrl+J duplicate). Anyway, on to the video!

Here is the tutorial file for people to play around with.

Complex Symmetrical Vector Layering.afphoto

P.S. to the Affinity team. I was trying to upload this video directly to this website, but had to use my own YouTube channel since I got error -200 when attaching it to this topic. Any clue as to why this happened?

On 4/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

P.S. to the Affinity team. I was trying to upload this video directly to this website, but had to use my own YouTube channel since I got error -200 when attaching it to this topic. Any clue as to why this happened?

Because that’s usually how you have to Upload Video on most websites, as Video is a much larger Data size than Images....generally Images KB/Mb whereas Video can be 100+Mb to Gb. 
‘By hosting Video on a Cloud or Service, reduces bandwidth/storage usage on a website. 
Typically use either a simple Hyperlink, directing to video...or if wanting actual Video to display, the external hosting. 
‘How do so many videos easily get posted? Usually already hosted to be Shared.

‘Is case for most all websites.