You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.2 "Not responding" a HUGE lot more.

I mean, it happened once in a while in the previous versions. But it's really very much more since 1.9.2. Almost daily.

Is it just me? I've been able to open a recovery version every time after killing a hanging Affinity Photo but it's not fun. I've lost a bit of work this way.
I'm lucky that I'm not making my money with this.

Are there logs I can offer to see what's wrong?

Edit: FYI, I'd be glad if it was just me. Then it'd be fixable on my end instead of having to wait for an update :)

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Just now, mrsurf said:

chrashreports

I suspect that using the correct spelling crashreports will be rather more successful. ;)

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\crashreports

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

I suspect that using the correct spelling crashreports will be rather more successful. ;)

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\crashreports

Heh, I found it anyway :)

But there's no report.. It really just hangs and won't recover anymore so I guess that makes a bit of sense.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

10 hours ago, RichardMH said:

One assumes you have turned off OpenCL acceleration?

Nope. Not yet anyway.
Worked without crashing or hanging in 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 (some weird behavior now and then but not breaking the software). I'm hoping it's not the cause because I really love the added performance.

Since I don't see any "Yeah I have that too!" replies I'm assuming it's something on my end. Probably shouldn't be in the bugs-section..

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Seems like it's happenening once it's out of video-ram. I tried clearing a bit onced it hanged by closing my browser, that's where the used vram goes down a bit but Affinity Photo did not recover from that.

image.png.6333893682c7dded402bfdb3fc50bfda.png

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Been through something like  this with the beta. Even have similar GPU use plots to you. Have a look at

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

on your machine.

If it's like mine with OpenCl acceleration on it will be full of error messages. I also have 4Gb of GPU memory.

The activated hardware acceleration can unfortunately lead to errors with some device configurations at the moment, so that it is recommended not to use the hardware acceleration for the time being.

The developers know the problem. Unfortunately, it is very complex, so that the determination of the cause may take some time.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hey Xzenor,

Please also make sure you are running the latest drivers for both your dGPU and your Intel card (if you have the Intel enabled).

There's also a Microsoft OpenCL package going around but our advise at the moment is not to install it as this is actually causing issues 😟

2 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Been through something like  this with the beta. Even have similar GPU use plots to you. Have a look at

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

on your machine.

If it's like mine with OpenCl acceleration on it will be full of error messages. I also have 4Gb of GPU memory.

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
	Version: 27.21.14.6589
	IsHardware: Yes
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13C0&SUBSYS_367C0000&REV_A1
	LUID: 0x11E6A
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
	Version: 10.0.19041.546
	IsHardware: No
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1414&DEV_008C&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
	LUID: 0x129F8
[OpenCL] Found 1 platforms:
Name: NVIDIA CUDA
	Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
	Version: OpenCL 3.0 CUDA 11.3.55
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform NVIDIA CUDA:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
	Version: OpenCL 3.0 CUDA
[OpenCL] Found 1 platforms:
Name: NVIDIA CUDA
	Version: OpenCL 3.0 CUDA 11.3.55
[OpenCL] Found 1 devices for platform NVIDIA CUDA:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
	Version: OpenCL 3.0 CUDA
	Installed
TabletContext::Create: original queue size is 50
TabletContext::Create: new queue size is 128
Attempting to create Direct3D device on default adapter
Setting screen DPI to 108.917922948074 (scale = 1.0)
Exit

Looks fine to me.. I am curious about that second adapter though. that's a bit odd. I disabled the onboard gpu in the Bios and it's no longer visible in the device manager (even with 'show hidden devices' enabled)

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Hey Xzenor,

Please also make sure you are running the latest drivers for both your dGPU and your Intel card (if you have the Intel enabled).

There's also a Microsoft OpenCL package going around but our advise at the moment is not to install it as this is actually causing issues 😟

GeForce experience will make sure I'm up2date :) I checked to be sure and there's no update available atm.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

The activated hardware acceleration can unfortunately lead to errors with some device configurations at the moment, so that it is recommended not to use the hardware acceleration for the time being.

The developers know the problem. Unfortunately, it is very complex, so that the determination of the cause may take some time.

I can confirm that it stops hanging if I disable it.

Could I provide additional data to help the developers?

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

1 hour ago, Xzenor said:

Looks fine to me.. I am curious about that second adapter though. that's a bit odd. I disabled the onboard gpu in the Bios and it's no longer visible in the device manager (even with 'show hidden devices' enabled)

Maybe the driver corpses from the onboard GPU are causing the problems!
Get the Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstall existing driver remnants.

The download link is below.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3469

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Nevermind, the second one was Microsoft Remote display.. Uninstalled that as well.

The intel one was completely uninstalled.

Still happening though. Once it reaches 4GB the screen goes pale, the titlebar get's all windows95 design again..
a bit of clicking produces the "Hey's it's not responding. Should we wait or put the program out of its missery?" dialog.

Waiting never fixed anything.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

On 4/6/2021 at 1:56 PM, RichardMH said:

One assumes you have turned off OpenCL acceleration?

I wanted to chime in on this. This new version was super-slow at a lot of things. Like ridiculous.

I turned off OpenCL and it cured it all. Such a simple thing.

14 hours ago, bt1138 said:

I wanted to chime in on this. This new version was super-slow at a lot of things. Like ridiculous.

I turned off OpenCL and it cured it all. Such a simple thing.

Oh that's odd. It's really faster for me with OpenCL turned on but I've had it hang so many times now that I've turned it off. It became unworkable.
I preferred the 1.9.1 way where it would just visually screw up the effects on the image and I could still save first before manually restarting Affinity Photo, instead of having to rely on the autosave feature.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, Xzenor said:

Nope. Not yet anyway.
Worked without crashing or hanging in 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 (some weird behavior now and then but not breaking the software). I'm hoping it's not the cause because I really love the added performance.

Since I don't see any "Yeah I have that too!" replies I'm assuming it's something on my end. Probably shouldn't be in the bugs-section..

I have that too :)

I'm using v1.9.2 and it frustratingly hangs a lot. I'm a new Affinity user so I don't know about older version though

My hardware specs are somewhat similar, with Nvidia dgpu and Intel igpu. Nvidia driver is up to date with Studio driver via Geforce experience (with Nvidia overlay disabled). I've just tried disabling OpenCL Hardware acceleration and will see how it goes. Still it is a real shame having to disable the option, especially since there will be more and more Neural filters or the like that runs a lot faster with hardware acceleration

Hello @AndreaL, welcome to the forum. 

Hardware acceleration is a new feature introduced with version 1.9. As the development team could not test all combinations of processors and graphics cards, it is the case that one combination works and another does not.

Please state the hardware specifications of your PC/laptop here. This information can help to better implement the hardware acceleration.

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

Hello @AndreaL, welcome to the forum. 

Hardware acceleration is a new feature introduced with version 1.9. As the development team could not test all combinations of processors and graphics cards, it is the case that one combination works and another does not.

Please state the hardware specifications of your PC/laptop here. This information can help to better implement the hardware acceleration.

Thanks

I'm using a Surface Book 3 on Windows 10 20H2 (build 19042.985). It has an Intel i7-1067G7 with Iris Plus graphics and a GTX 1650 Max-Q

Edited by AndreaL

@AndreaLBe sure that the Intel and NVIDIA driver are up-to-date. If they are not, there is a 50/50 chance that hardware acceleration will work for you after the drivers are updatet.

I am not that familiar with the Surface devices. Maybe the hardware acceleration works with the GTX 1650 when the Intel GPU is switched off in the BIOS/UEFI .