You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean operations still messy

Hello to all Affinities,

my first message as an old reader of the forum. And as often said: "I like the Affinity-Software, but …"

I am a little bit annoyed, that the boolean-operations still are very messy and unpredictable. I think, these are basic-funtions but there are very little improvements over the years.

As you can see: the trapezoid shape combines inaccurate and the round shape combines in no way and disappears at last. Funny.

I will gladly pay my amount for a more useful 2.0 version of your software.

Please apologize my limited english.

Best wishes from Munich, Germany and stay healthy

imac 27- 2017, 32 gb RAM, MacOs Mojave

20 hours ago, Wurstkäs said:

the trapezoid shape combines inaccurate

I tried to replicate it but no luck.
To better understand what's going on, it's a good idea to try the compound feature first, rather than destructive boolean. Simply option-click the button instead (or Layers > Create Compound), then the original curves will remain intact and editable. See then also the Layers panel. You can then zoom in and inspect the original nodes. Sometimes, such strange things happen because of duplicate, almost overlapping nodes, or curves not being closed although they appear so.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Hello Loukash,

the strangest thing is, i tried to replicate this behavior in another document and everything was alright! No failure. But in the document i showed above everything is messy.

All documents made with the 1.9.2 Designer version.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Wurstkäs said:

Hello Loukash,

the strangest thing is, i tried to replicate this behavior in another document and everything was alright! No failure. But in the document i showed above everything is messy.

All documents made with the 1.9.2 Designer version.

Would it be possible for you to attach the offending document at all please?

On 4/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, Wurstkäs said:

here is the file

Something weird is happening there:

Edited by loukash
replaced *.mov with *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Thanks for the files. I'll get them passed on. The Cloud like objects however consist of two 'curve' objects (Hence they're Kurven and not Kurve in your screenshot). This is what is making the operation fail for them. If you go to Layer > Geometry > Separate Curves you will see it will split them into two objects, one being a small triangle which can be deleated. You will then be able to use the Boolean Operations on these.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hence they're Kurven and not Kurve in your screenshot

Interesting and good to know! I haven't noticed this semantic distinction yet.

1 minute ago, Wurstkäs said:

But where does this little invisible triangle come from?

An artifact from an earlier boolean operation that you must have performed with the object.
Depending on the starting forms, Affinity's boolean operations may lead to unexpected and undesired results. Known and acknowledged issue for sure, unfixed since years. :/