You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the style dialogs, keyboard input are not accepted for color settings

I don't know if this has already been reported. At least, I could not find an entry on this particular issue. If this is already known, I apologize for the double entry.

My observation is about color settings in the Paragraph Style, Character Style and Group Style dialogs. There, the dialogs with the sliders do not accept any keyboard input. It is only possible to make settings with the sliders.

I can reproduce this behavior
* in Affinity Publisher 1.9.2
* inAffinity Designer 1.9.2
* with the RGB color sliders
* with the CMYK color sliders
* in each case in the color settings for paragraph styles, character styles, group styles
* on my MacMini 2020 on macOS 11 Big Sur
* on my very old MacBook Pro 2008 on macOS 10.11 El Capitan.
For clarity, I've included a short screen video that also shows my keyboard input.

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6

57 minutes ago, Kaffeepause said:

I don't know if this has already been reported

It was, a few times already.

57 minutes ago, Kaffeepause said:

At least, I could not find an entry on this particular issue.

The forum search could be better for sure… ;)

58 minutes ago, Kaffeepause said:

It is only possible to make settings with the sliders.

I recall that in the other similar thread I've already proposed the following "ugly workaround":

1. type the value in any other text field; that can even be the Style Name field right above, then cut it to the clipboard
  2. right-click (control-click) the color value field and paste the previously copied value

At least on El Capitan, it only works via context menu, not via cmd-V.

1 hour ago, Kaffeepause said:

my very old MacBook Pro 2008 on macOS 10.11 El Capitan

Mit der silbernen Tastatur und mattem Bildschirm? Hab ich auch! Hat optisch zwar schon was abbekommen in all den Jahren, aber seit ich ihm eine 2TB SSD spendiert hab, läuft es wieder wie am Schnürchen. :) Inklusive Affinity.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

It's reported a few times …

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/tags/afb-4577/

Not sure if it is intended to be resolved according to this release note: (I still get the issue in a German OS + English APub)

On 3/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, Patrick Connor said:

(Mac) Fixes issues with numeric entry fields in some non-English locales.

@Kaffeepause, bin neugierig interessiert: Wie erzeugst/aktivierst du die Darstellung der Tastatur-Keys in deinem Video?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:
On 3/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, Patrick Connor said:

(Mac) Fixes issues with numeric entry fields in some non-English locales.

Das ist was anderes, soweit ich mich erinnere. Aber auch noch nicht vollständig beseitigt.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

bin neugierig interessiert: Wie erzeugst/aktivierst du die Darstellung der Tastatur-Keys in deinem Video?

Ich auch. In QuickTime ist das nicht vorhanden.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@loukash and @thomaso,

thank you for the links to the reports. I had used the forum search, but did not find these specific messages.
It's just always a question of search terms and if I do not know the appropriate words, the search also does not provide the right results 😊. My English is only the school English that I once learned over 35 years ago ...

So the error is known. In the context of the styles, the bug is obviously not fixed. Anyway, I will load the beta versions when there are new ones and test for this point.

@loukash, thanks for the tip about the clipboard entry. I've been making do with the eyedropper so far.
The 2008 MacBook Pro is a "late 2008" which already has the black keyboard. I also gave it an SSD a few years ago and it still does its job. I also have a MacBook Pro with the silver keyboard, but Affinity is not installed. I like the silver keyboard very much because it has comparatively soft strokes and I can type well in the 10-finger system.

@thomaso, @loukash, QuickTime kann leider nur Mausklicks visualisieren. Weil ich gelegentlich für Freunde und Bekannte kurze Anleitungsvideos mache und dabei die Tastaturanschläge auch zeigen will, habe ich vor längerer Zeit das Programm Screenium gekauft, als es im Angebot war. Wie ich jetzt gerade sehe, ist es momentan wieder günstiger zu haben.

Nochmals Danke und schöne Grüße.

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6

7 minutes ago, Kaffeepause said:

Das hier könnte auch funktionieren: https://github.com/keycastr/keycastr
Ich werde es mal testen.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, loukash said:

Ich werde es mal testen.

Nicht schlecht für free-as-in-beer:

Edited by loukash
replaced *.mov with *.mp4

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Text Style Panel - numeric entry for colour values in sliders not possible" (REF: AF-204) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.