You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to find how to make a cartoon effect, not comic effect.

I have not purchased the Inffinity Programs yet. I am comparing to other programs first.

What I am looking for is the ability to take a picture and give it a cartoon effect. I have searched the FAQ, as well as YouTube, and Google search. Every time I see someone suggest how to do it, and I look it up, it actually is just the comic book effect, not cartoon. I would like the pictures come out looking like they were drawn.

This is what I am wanting to do. And, I would like to know if this is possible with Affinity, would it be better if I buy all three, or just need a couple.

I want to start taking pictures I take, or friends send me, and give them a cartoon look. Not the comic book, pencil sketch look.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Razar.

Welcome to the forums @Razar

You might get some good advice if you show us the sort of thing you mean.
Example images, links, videos, that sort of thing.
Otherwise we can only guess at what you mean by “cartoon effect” as different people will have their own ideas about what that means.

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Razar

You might get some good advice if you show us the sort of thing you mean.
Example images, links, videos, that sort of thing.
Otherwise we can only guess at what you mean by “cartoon effect” as different people will have their own ideas about what that means.

Sorry. I had the link in the post originally. Not sure why it is no longer in it. I have seen how people are able to give them the comic book pencil sketch look. But, I want to be able to also do a cartoon look.

Also, is there any word on when the 2.0 version will be out? Since they charge for every new version, I am not sure if I would be better to wait till the new one comes out. I did get the 90 day free trial. Which I think is something they should keep running all the time. So people like myself can see if we would like the software. Might be too complicated for me to use. But looks awesome.

Thanks again.

Razar.

I haven’t watched all of the video but I don’t think you can easily achieve the same result in Photo as that which is in the video as Photo doesn’t have all of the tools/filters/effects used (Poster Edges, Oil Paint, etc.).
You could try using an add-on (plugin) but I can’t recommend one as I don’t use them and, from what I have read in the forums, Photo’s ability to use some of them can be dependant on your individual machine set-up.
I know G’MIC has some filters that may be useful in this area but I can’t vouch for whether you will be able to get it running properly with Photo.

As for 2.0, we users have no idea when that will happen. Maybe this year, maybe next year, maybe five years time, we just don’t know. The earliest we will find out is probably when Serif drop the first beta on us but they don’t tell us their plans any more (for various good reasons).
The 50% discount is still running and you don’t have to pay for an upgrade to 2.0 if you don’t want the new features so, if you have the spare cash, getting 1.9.x now and using it may tell you whether you need any new features. If 1.9.x does all that you need then why pay to upgrade?
You could wait years for 2.0 and be missing out on some great software in the meantime.

Edited by GarryP

I think with a bit of experimentation you could achieve similar results to those in the video with Affinity Photo, but as @GarryP says it may not necessarily be easy. Depends on how much time (as opposed to cash) you're prepared to invest in learning the ins and outs.

If you simply want an out-of-the-box solution for creating cartoon-like images, then one of the Jixipix products may be more up your street.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Jimbo724

Go to jixpix website and try out for your self.

https://jixipix.com/downloads.html

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 10/7/2022 at 8:46 PM, Jimbo724 said:

How well do the Jixipix products work with Affinity Photo for Mac?

JixiPix work great on Mac

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The only apps I know of that will give you what I think you want are generally on mobile phones so, ToonMe on Android and Voila AI Artist on IOS.

This was done in Voila AI Artist

IMG_BC3436712AEA-1.jpeg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The free Plugin G'MIC does this very well (as v_kyr already mentioned). I'm not sure if there really is a recommendable version for Mac, but it also exists as a free web service called G'MIC Online. Unfortunately the web service doesn't offer all filters the plugin offers. E.G. the very cool filter Graphic Novel is missing. But there is a Cartoon Effect filter (category Artistic) that might do what you want. Depending on what you imagine as "Cartoon" you could alternatively try filters like e.G.  Vector Painting or Sharp Abstract. Often a combination of filters creates the best effects.

You could also check out Fotosketcher and XnSketch for cartoon style effects.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad