You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: Double click to change node type

The inkscribe plugin for illustrator has a great feature: if you double click on a node it will switch from smooth to sharp or vice versa. Would love to have this on affinity too as it is a huge time saver. could just swithc between those 2 or cycle between smooth-->sharp-->smart.

Photoshop's Curvature Pen (added last year IIRC) does exactly this, and it can also add a new node to an existing curve/path without switching to a different tool. It's the one tool that makes me think about going back to PS because I use it a lot to make smooth selections and doing it AP's way takes 3+ times the time.

2 hours ago, kemie said:

if you double click on a node it will switch from smooth to sharp or vice versa. Would love to have this on affinity too as it is a huge time saver.

Is there anything wrong with:

• option-click to sharp node
  • ctrl-click to smooth node

?

affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/edit_linesAndShapes.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

18 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I didn't know that.

Frankly, I didn't know off the top of my head either. But that's why there's the contextual hint bar at the bottom of an Affinity document window. :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 4/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, loukash said:

Is there anything wrong with:

• option-click to sharp node
  • ctrl-click to smooth node

I think there IS something wrong - it is NOT user friendly! Serif staff keeps complaining about the lack of modifier keys, especially on Windows. So why do I have to use (on Windows) Alt-click to sharp node AND click + Right click to smooth node instead of easy double click on node to change between the two states?

On 4/10/2021 at 1:14 PM, Rudolphus said:

I think there IS something wrong - it is NOT user friendly! Serif staff keeps complaining about the lack of modifier keys, especially on Windows. So why do I have to use (on Windows) Alt-click to sharp node AND click + Right click to smooth node instead of easy double click on node to change between the two states?

Personally I fail to see why there need to be two modifier keys for this.  Option+Click or ALT+Click could just as easily toggle between them too.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I fail to see why there need to be two modifier keys for this.  Option+Click or ALT+Click could just as easily toggle between them too.

Option-click a sharp node with handles resets the handles while keeping the node sharp.
That's very likely why.

Also note that if you hover over a handle, you'll se a bunch of other nifty modifier options.
Not to forget the node snapping options.
It's all pretty clever!

Now if we also had a copy/cut selected nodes option, I'd be happy.

It would be helpful if the cursor icon changed to reflect the 'mode' enabled by the modifier key. As it stands the cursor stays the same, and you have to commit to memory or look down at the status bar to ascertain what each modifier key does. It may seem like a little thing, but by not providing accurate feedback within an interface you're likely only confusing and frustrating your users.

6 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

if the cursor icon changed to reflect the 'mode'

Actually it does change to reflect that you'll have different options to choose from. I.e. you'll see a different pointer if you hover over node, handle or curve.
A logical enhancement could be adding e.g. the modifier symbol to the pointer, but then it would require a different set of pointers for Mac and Win. It would be probably more complex than necessary…

2 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I get a cursor change over line segments, nodes and handles, but nothing when I when I apply a (ctrl or option) modifier key. 

Exactly. That's what I meant. :)

Personally, I like the wealth of all the options we've got in Node tool. But there are so many it is sometimes a kind of a mess. So it deserves some tidiing (e.g. get rid of two different modifier actions and use single action to toggle the state of a node) and maybe better user guidance (like cursor change) would be welcomed too.