You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting text frames but leaving the contents

Phrase of the day "Just go plop" lol!

How would deleting a text frame help manage the content on a page and what do you mean by "over text framed"?

That said, you can either rasterise or convert the text to curves. Rasterise will probably degrade the text quality, and convert to curves will create a group of layers with each letter being a layer, both will prevent any further editing of text.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Even text needs some kind of container, so there is no way to place them without one. If you "overframed" your document, grouping elements where possible would help to clean the structure of layers a bit.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

How would deleting a text frame help manage the content on a page and what do you mean by "over text framed"?

I suppose I need some guidance on best practice.  I have a master page that includes a header, footer, and a styled text frame for the page text.  So all the text I put down is in a frame, as I understand it.  But then I added a frame for my recipe name, one for the ingredients, and one for the instructions.  Now I need to get my vertical spacing between these right, and it can only be done by moving the frames as far as I can tell. But this doesn't seem like sound formatting, and I can't control the vertical spacing except by dragging individual frames around.  

12 minutes ago, Tony Ennis said:

I need some guidance on best practice

The best would be if you would record a screencast of what you're trying to acomplish.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, Tony Ennis said:

I suppose I need some guidance on best practice.  I have a master page that includes a header, footer, and a styled text frame for the page text.  So all the text I put down is in a frame, as I understand it.  But then I added a frame for my recipe name, one for the ingredients, and one for the instructionsNow I need to get my vertical spacing between these right, and it can only be done by moving the frames as far as I can tell. But this doesn't seem like sound formatting, and I can't control the vertical spacing except by dragging individual frames around.  

I would want to know if the text is in a file or if you are typing them into Publisher.

Best practice for me if I was doing this would be to have the recipes in text files (or even just one big text file with all the recipes) and then go and place each recipe into the Master Page Text Frame on the individual pages with appropriate Paragraph Styles, Recipe Name, Ingredients and Instructions. In the Paragraph Styles I would have all the formatting for spacing between the various elements.

You may actually need to have a set of Master pages for Recipes and Illustrations and Discussions etc.

A Recipe book is actually quite a difficult job.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce The text is in an html file (eek) that I am copy/pasting-unformatted into Publisher.  I could make a text copy by pasting into a notepad document or some other text-only editor. Had I known the ability to blast an entire file into publisher existed, I would have used it.

One challenge is that I am trying to match the format of the original book.  Unfortunately, some pages have 1 recipe, some have 2 or 3, some have no ingredients.  Some have ingredients in 1 column, some have ingredients in 2 columns, some have instructions, some don't. Then there are full-page images but these have been easily handled with a different master page.  All these recipe styles are added to the text after it has been placed in the rather pedestrian master text frame.

35 minutes ago, Tony Ennis said:

One challenge is that I am trying to match the format of the original book. 

All bets are off. 

I would just go with copy paste each recipe and format it with manually placed and sized text frames. Check out the Guides manager and use it to set up some layout guides for making your life a little easier. Forget about a Master Page Text Frame for the recipes.

1501149548_ScreenShot2021-04-06at8_42_03AM.thumb.png.fd4ec67fa734a5dc4915bd7eaf6924cc.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.