You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3D Option for Affinity Photo

I desperately want a feature in Affinity Photo that has the ability to paint 3d objects like in photoshop. I love this program, but it is sadly missing this feature. Is it possible that this could be added? I would gladly spend extra dollars for it, or even create a program that does 3d painting. Please consider this. Surely I'm not the only one who would love to have a 3d option. 

I respect your opinion, John, but I feel that this would be a  help for 3D artists and it would be great. IMHO...Affinity Photo is fabulous, but in due respect, Photo Shop has that option, and it is  a real good additon to have. The other alternative is to create a Stand Alone 3D Paint program. In all honesty, I would rather use Affinity than Photo shop. The  people who created it, are in my opinion, fabulous, creative and innovative.  The idea of using Affinity Photo for realistic backgrounds and then being able to add 3d objects makes it an exciting blend. Thanks for your input, though. 

32 minutes ago, HoneyK said:

Photo Shop has that option, and it is  a real good additon to have.

Back in the distant past, before the Schmadobe CC scam came to rule them all, Photoshop CS5.5 "Extended" with 3D capabilities was only available at a massive surcharge to the regular beast.

I passed.

In other words, this is obviously a highly advanced feature.
While always "nice to have" – just as every candy that there is – I can imagine that it takes a long way to actually make it work. I somewhat doubt that this complex feature will be Serif's priority for the next few years to come. Heck, we haven't even got vector warp tools in Designer yet. Something that my beloved Freehand 9 could do over two decades ago. :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

22 hours ago, HoneyK said:

Photo Shop has that option, and it is  a real good additon to have. The other alternative is to create a Stand Alone 3D Paint program

I'm a 3d artist, and photoshop's 3d features are awful and I would never use it.

The other alternative is to use an exisiting stand alone 3d program, which is already available and designed specifically for the task. Then use Affinity Photo to comp in the 3d elements, which is what AP is designed for.

@HoneyK

There are plans to add more support for 3D artists.

3d.jpg

(I have two documents open here - you can see the texture itself, the other document is the normal map - both are being edited and a realtime preview is being rendered on a .obj model in the new Model panel).

Thanks,

Andy.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

If they ate willing to make improvements for game art  I'd rather expect some  features and live effects  useful to work with modern  RBR materials and their compositing.  

Multichannel editing through height, roughness, normal maps.  Cryptomatte to layer masks.   Depth combine ( we need transform links for that) . Easy dynamically calculating masks without insane layer stack.  Live filters usable  for modern materials  like height to  normal map or cavity.  Image  warping loops  aka  slope blur,  few easily adjustable noises  and  direction input deformers  and probably a node based interface to make  your own live filters.  ( I don't understand a thing in current "procedural" filter)   "Layer comps"  for  material channels with export persona    exporting them   etc

Would love something artist friendly unlike Adobe Substance Designer  and less toyish  and useless than Alchemist

As of painting all this on 3d mesh  I am not interested.  Marmoset, 3d coat,  MAri,  free Blender or super simple Armor Paint  which you could build  yourself for free.

No 3d stuff  in AP please, if you need that please stay to PS. 

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 6 months later...

I'd love to see a good, elegant 3D paint/material feature. But I understand why people don't. Photoshop bloated and bloated. I too want my photo/paint editor to be lean and fast and not cluttered. But given the state of 3D on the PC I think it wouldn't have to hurt that much, and sure, make it a plugin/option so everyone is happy. I think it's only going to get more common, support for 3D content creation and for 2D designers to have amazing 3D tools to end up in 2D imagery, which in turn would be great for matte painters. Even in a stand alone app that displayed the 3D side and talked to Affinity Photo side by side. Maps displayed and editable in 2D in Affinity Photo and in 3D similarly editable displayed with good modern shaders/materials in a "Affinity 3DCreate" window beside it. If you could support the new open standards like alembic, UDIMMs, USD, Hydra, OSL, MaterialX, , keep it lean and fast (at least on modern hardware), use the same interface style as the other Affinity apps and price it reasonably and you'll have a winner! I grieve that Substance got bought by Adobe. I was about to start learning that and since that announcement I just don't have the heart to learn an Adobe tool after years of trying to rid myself of anything Adobe. Other options like Mari are quite expensive. So if you could make something that'll do serious 3D paint with 3D layers and projections, but keep it as fast and as easy to work in as Affinity Photo and I know I'd buy that!!! I sure don't want to "buy" a subscription to Substance now. Mari is too expensive. Affinity, there's a product here I think you should consider! Pretty please! Take! My! Money!

Edited by Dylanear

On 4/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, HoneyK said:

Photo Shop has that option

It no longer does. Adobe gave up on maintaining the 3D features in Photoshop. They are now officially deprecated.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:54 PM, Dylanear said:

Other options like Mari are quite expensive. So if you could make something that'll do serious 3D paint with 3D layers and projections, but keep it as fast and as easy to work in as Affinity Photo and I know I'd buy that!!!

You are aware of alternatives, such as:

3DCoatTextura https://pilgway.com/product/3dcoattextura

ArmorPaint https://armorpaint.org/

MaterialMaker https://www.materialmaker.org/

Quixel Mixer https://quixel.com/mixer

And it is possible to paint with layers in Blender with this plugin:

https://blendermarket.com/products/pbr-painter

Many of these have a bridge to open the texture in an external image editor for round-trip editing.

2 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

It no longer does. Adobe gave up on maintaining the 3D features in Photoshop. They are now officially deprecated.

But now they have a new 3D app, that you have to pay extra to use!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I'd rather prefer they focus on PHoto and Designer.  There are so much missed  yet.     Anyway I don't believe they have resources for anything big.   They  didn't introduced anything new  since link panel.    

Perhaps we wouldn't see anything but bug fixes at all in foreseeing future.   No hits of any new feature in development.       Perhaps the whole Affinity project wasn't such a financial success due to low prices and not enough revenue.  Perhaps  they fired all the staff  and wait a nice Adobe offer now   :).    Just a guess. I know nothing.

I would like to add more to the reason for 3D paint in Affinity Photo, and it is this: I personally feel it would be a great asset because you don't have to go back and forth from one program to another, etc. to achieve the desired effect. I'd be happy with a plug-in too, as Dylanear mentioned

I want to thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.